Puffer Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Mardymustard1, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mardymustard1

Mardymustard1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi so one of my 4 dwarf puffers has been acting odd lately and it’s really worrying me.
    Basically whenever I get near the tank he darts off super fast all around the aquarium like he’s scared, I’ve never ever hit the tank or done anything to scare him but my ex used to (and I hated it and tried to stop him but he’d do it when I was out the room) so that might have caused it but all the others come up to the tank, except for him.
    Today was particularly bad, I went to feed them and he darted off and I found him after a lot of search, just hovering behind a rock, very dark.
    Minutes after he comes out and wants food at the front of the tank and is no longer dark?
    They recently went to another aquarium whilst I was on holiday and I don’t know if that’s got anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    i had to giggle a little bit at the first part... I think you meant "darts off." Definitely implanted a silly image in my mind.

How long has he been acting odd? I would watch his behavior with the other fish as well, to see if he is getting picked on. Is he still getting enough food? It is likely that going to another aquarium stressed him out. If he is still eating, i would give it time and keep an eye on it.

3. OP
    OP
    Mardymustard1

Mardymustard1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    1 year
    Haha I know what you mean.

He isn’t getting picked on but is a lot more submissive at feeding time, still getting plenty of food though but yes, he is standing back more.

4. Puffersrock

PuffersrockNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    your ex hitting the tank likely didn’t help mine hate it when I accidentally drop the lid a bit. As long as he comes out to eat at some point he’s likely fine and just has bad memories. If he’s not puffing up he can’t be that scared. Try some garlic guard if it’s important to you that he eats with the rest of the gang.

5. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +156
    I also have 4 pea puffers, 2 females and 2 makes, and something similar happened for me. It may just be their hierarchy at work. One of my males is considerably les fat than the other three as he is more tentative around feeding, especially with the females.