Pseudomugil gertrudae - dwarf rainbows?

Barbrella
Blue-eyed Gertrudes...dwarf rainbows. Anyone have? I just got 8 and it's hard to find definitive info on them.

I got them veggie flakes and baby brine shrimp. They're in a heavily planted, established 10 gal, and the temp is 76.

For anyone who has them - how often and how much do you feed? What portion veggies to protein? Best temp? Anything else you can tell me is appreciated!

capekate
Here is a great link with info on your spotted blue eye rainbow. They sure are beautiful fish... lucky you! ;D Be sure and post photos Id love to see them.
~ kate

susitna-flower
Lucky you...they are lovely fish.

Barbrella
Thanks for the link capekate! Hmmm..mine don't have those wonderful colours. I hope they brighten up as they settle in!

They're so small and fast that getting pics could take some time, or a better photographer than I!

BTW, if anyone has a Big Al's nearby, they have tons of these and sell them 6/11.99$, and I got two free ones thrown in.

capekate
WOW what a fantastic price you paid for them! I was going to ask you where you bought them. Big Al's.. hmmm I don't know if there are any of those stores around me. Only place I have found these are online... and they are pretty expensive there. You got yourself a fantastic deal. ;D
Rainbows tend to color up as they mature.. so I'm sure yours are going to look every bit as beautiful as the ones in the link! Good luck with them.. and when they settle in, I hope you try and take some photos for us. ;D

Butterfly
Thanks for the link capekate! Hmmm..mine don't have those wonderful colours. I hope they brighten up as they settle in!

They're so small and fast that getting pics could take some time, or a better photographer than I!

BTW, if anyone has a Big Al's nearby, they have tons of these and sell them 6/11.99$, and I got two free ones thrown in.

Each of those pictures is of that fish from a different collection point(tiny print in parenthesis under pic ) maybe yours is from a different collection point still. Fish from different collection points tend to look a little different.
I'm sure you've noticed but just in case Rainbows tend to have small throats especially these small ones and need tiny foods.
I have threadfins (Iriatherina werneri) and it's a constant battle to make sure the food is small enough.
Now we need pictures!
carol

Barbrella
Some other people were shocked at the price as well. I just checked Foster & Smith, and they are 12.50 each.

Mine are looking better, and the males are showing bright orange/yellow on the fin tips. Easy to see why they're called Blue Eyes. They're so cute!

Rainbows tend to have small throats

Yes, I got them some frozen BBS and some veggie flakes I can crush.

Here's a pic. For some reason they look yellow here, but are not. I also threw in a pic of one of the zebra nerites I got for their tank to get rid of a little of that unsightly algae.

Allie
Pretty cool looking fish.

Butterfly
Very pretty little fish. Good luck with them. Keep us updated on how they are
Carol

Barbrella
Well, the rainbows are doing just awesome and seem to love their planted tank! For such tiny fish, they aren't shy and swarm to the front of the tank when I go to feed them their microscopic food.

Butterfly, thanks for the link. I've determined that they are the Cardell River variety. I highly recommend these little guys for anyone who has limited space for a tank.

The males are just exquisite when they display. I got a couple pics, one is of a semi-displaying male, but it turned out dark.

susitna-flower
:;z WHERE oh where did you get zebra nerites?

Barbrella
I got the snails at Big Al's but am pretty sure they are not located in Alaska!

You could try ordering some online.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tylcas
Replies
Views
New2fishlovinit
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Top Bottom