Pseudochromis not compatible to invertebrates led to using 55g FOWLR!

1. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I started a reef tank about three months ago. As of this evening, I now have two saltwater tanks.
    Originally I was going to use a 55g tank but everything I read said bigger was better and I had a 90g tank. So, it became the reef aquarium-until I upgrade to a 120g from the 90g.
    The thing is, I have all this equipment-an aquamaxx skimmer rated at 75g, a light, an empty tank, chaeto, a bunch of pumps-thank you person I bought the 120g tank from Saturday! :) Even threw in a phosphate reactor and lines, nets, live rock, ceramic frag supplies, 3 five gallon water containers, lines of various sizes and much more! :)

So, you guessed it 1971roadrunner, I just finished getting the 55g tank ready and so when I move to the 120 from the 90g, I will move the psuedochromis to the now running 55g tank. :)

I know that this tank will not have invertebrates as psuedochromis are not to trusted around them, thus fish only. :)
    I do have a blackcap basslet that I could put in there but I think it is safe for invertebrates but not positive as I have now found contradictory information.
    Thoughts?

2. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

OK, lets see...your running all the above in a sump under a 55g-nice! Those are fish I have no experience with but looked them up and there seems to be some concerns. I would research further how much these concerns are justified and remember that there are no guarantees with compatibility. I have a friend who's first blue spotted puffer did great in his 75g reef tank then years later got another (after the first died) and it went to town on just about everything in the tank!?!? Just proceed with caution and keep a close eye and be ready to remove the fish REAL quick. ttyl

*I'm home on my death bed dying from a REALLY bad cold :( good bye fishlore........

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

:( Sorry you feel bad 1971roadrunner!
    I started a tank last night that will be FOWLR. It is the 55g that I was going to originally use for my reef tank. It has its own equipment skimmer, hob filter, small hob refugium, and phosphate reactor, etc.
    So, the psuedochromis is for sure going in there as it keeps trying to catch my watchman goby. I just thought you would get a kick out of me starting another tank 1971roadrunner, plus not sure what to do with the two damsels or whether the blue devil and four stripe should be returned to the LFS.

That will leave me the pair of clowns in the 120g (it has a 30g sump under it-not the 55 but I am using one of the pumps the guy gave me to make a 10g sump for my 55g). I also have a yellow tang, 1 bangaii cardinal (two were bullied to death by the damsels and I have not been able to catch them), the blackcap basslet (unless I move him to the 55g, the watchman and a CUC.

What do you, or anyone else for that matter think I could add to the reef tank and also if anything to the FOWLR tank?

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I'm being told I'll live!? How are you going to run the GFO reactor without a sump? I remember you also have an really nice HOB over flow box and now an extra return pump so all you need is the sump itself. Can you run the HOB skimmer from a sump which I've seen done many times - cant see why not though I'm not too familiar with the one you have?
    claireputput, I see your going to have a sump that you mentioned-sorry. I think I'm more interested in the filters, sumps and pumps than in the fish themselves too much.

5. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I would keep the reef safe fish (especially the YTin the larger 90g) in the reef environment of course. I know my LFS's are more than happy to take fish back from a customer they have many yrs. experience with and know are responsible fish keepers. I don't know how your LFS works but I'd return some if possible and go with a fowlr with some larger different types of fish than would be in the reef. Maybe a dwarf lion (love 'em), dwarf angel like a bi-color etc... and a saddle valentini or blue spotted puffer - you get the point.

*I was at my LFS earlier biting my lip talking myself out of getting a baby panther grouper - oh how I want one but would be wrong :(!?!?

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Sounds good 1971roadrunner. I will see what happens as I don't want to really be limited. I love the angels and I like your idea for stock! I looked at that fish you love, huge and gorgeous. Is your lip sore? :)

7. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Yes it is :(! I NEED a baby panther grouper but NOT!! Anyhoots keep these fish in mind, only three maybe 'cause it would be something different :). You may want to also take a look into a proflex model 2 for this fowlr as I see nice prices on them around and I like my model 4 with only a few gripes in regards to them.