PSA: What can go wrong, Will go wrong

UnknownUser

I swapped out all the fake things for real things not soon after starting this fish-keeping journey This was because all my fish’s fins kept ripping. Even on silk fake plants. Now I keep two bettas in separate tanks, with real plants and a real coconut shell cave and real tannin-leaching leaves. Fool-proof, right? Wrong.

Rainbow has been wiggling through my Floating java fern’s Root system like a pro for months. Today, he got stuck. Got a fin nicely wrapped around a section of the roots. I couldn’t just pull one root - I could tell it was a knot in there. Many roots. So I had to hold the plant, and therefore him, at the top of the tank and do surgeon work to break each root til I had gotten all the ones tying him in there and he was loose. What an ordeal. He’d been flopping around the whole time, of course, so now he’s de-stressing with no lights and no people staring in to make sure he’s alright every minute like I want to.

The plant got the axe. Literally. I love my plants, but I’d rather lose a plant than a fish. Those 7+ inch roots are down to maybe 2 inches. Hopefully it survives the shock and is okay, but it just can’t be allowed to have those roots grow wild anymore.

So I thought I’d share, mostly because I’m a bit panicked by the whole thing and wanted to tell someone who cares as much as I do, but also because I want to warn others not to get complacent just because live plants are less harmful to fins than plastic ones. They are still dangerous!

KribensisLover1

I swapped out all the fake things for real things not soon after starting this fish-keeping journey This was because all my fish’s fins kept ripping. Even on silk fake plants. Now I keep two bettas in separate tanks, with real plants and a real coconut shell cave and real tannin-leaching leaves. Fool-proof, right? Wrong.

Rainbow has been wiggling through my Floating java fern’s Root system like a pro for months. Today, he got stuck. Got a fin nicely wrapped around a section of the roots. I couldn’t just pull one root - I could tell it was a knot in there. Many roots. So I had to hold the plant, and therefore him, at the top of the tank and do surgeon work to break each root til I had gotten all the ones tying him in there and he was loose. What an ordeal. He’d been flopping around the whole time, of course, so now he’s de-stressing with no lights and no people staring in to make sure he’s alright every minute like I want to.

The plant got the axe. Literally. I love my plants, but I’d rather lose a plant than a fish. Those 7+ inch roots are down to maybe 2 inches. Hopefully it survives the shock and is okay, but it just can’t be allowed to have those roots grow wild anymore.

So I thought I’d share, mostly because I’m a bit panicked by the whole thing and wanted to tell someone who cares as much as I do, but also because I want to warn others not to get complacent just because live plants are less harmful to fins than plastic ones. They are still dangerous!
I had a hair (dog) get into my tank and get stuck in a very young angels mouth. I had to pull it out ans it was so rough Bc it was so thin and down his throat! He got a very mild case of ich after from the stress ans is now many months older. Just saying it’s so unbelievable the things that can happen! And I’m sure no ich for you only saying Murphy’s law does ring true!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Sounds like you had a busy day! I am sure he will be fine after calming down. Hopefully there wasn't too much fin damage.

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

Sounds like you had a busy day! I am sure he will be fine after calming down. Hopefully there wasn't too much fin damage.
Thankfully I can’t see any fin damage, but he has such big fins they do overlap so I might just not be able to see it

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thankfully I can’t see any fin damage, but he has such big fins they do overlap so I might just not be able to see it
Well, that is easily treatable, at least

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have heard of fish getting caught on string or something tying a plant on but not the plant itself! Hope hes good after that ordeal!

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I have heard of fish getting caught on string or something tying a plant on but not the plant itself! Hope hes good after that ordeal!
That's a good point too. Idk if you saw the thread but I had to cut my pictus cat free from a stray loop of fishing line.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I use small rubber bands usually. Im sure they may still get caught on those, but at least they go tight against the thing you are tying it to.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

That's a good point too. Idk if you saw the thread but I had to cut my pictus cat free from a stray loop of fishing line.
I remember that one.

I had a pleco get caught in the net long time ago. Needless to say, the net was trash after i freed the pleco.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Radumanole0
  • Question
Replies
Views
saqib
Replies
Views