PSA: seal your cuts before you stick your hands in your fish tank!

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Idk about any of you guys, but I am super clumsy and constantly hurting myself XD my hands are often cut up or generally injured, but usually they heal enough to close before I have to do something in my tank.

Well, the other day I cut my finger decently while I was rage-fixing my pump- I mean, "carefully" removing the intake cover- and since I was... Emotionally involved... With the task at hand, I ignored it.
And then ignored it some more.
Probably got it dirty fishing at the river.
Cleaned it a bit.
Stuck my hands back in my fish tank adjusting that bleeping pump...
And then, whoops!
It's kind of red and puffy :eek:

Que flashbacks to when my cat scratched my hand and I didn't clean it, and it got super infected...
Flashbacks to the story I read about the girl who had to get her hand cut off because she put a hand with a cut in her fish tank...

PANIC

!!!

... Several litres of 70% ISO and liquid bandaid (and a lot of stinging) later, I think I'll be okay.

Don't make the same mistake as me, kids. Seal your wounds before you touch the fish water XD

plecodragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rubber gloves, either yellow or nitrile blue gloves are your friend. :) Every one of my tanks has a pair ready to be used to keep my hands dry and fish water free. I even have some shoulder length plastic gloves that people use to check cattle for deep work thou they are not as water proof as rubber gloves. If I have to go deep in my tanks I have hardwood stakes that I can use to reach the bottom, I don't even have to reach into the tank.
Keep an eye on your hands and any infections get checked or use some polysponin (remember not to put your hands into the water with any creams or ointments on your hands it can hurt the fish)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guess I'm getting my hand chopped off.....i don't sweat that kind of stuff.... :hilarious: :p

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve had horrible eczema on my hands ever since I started using remineralized RO/DI water in my tanks.
Using the shoulder length rubber gloves (can’t remember the name but they are recommended on amazon for salt water tank keepers) plus blue nitrile gloves underneath keeps it bearable. But I’m about to experiment with just purchasing the chemicals separately instead of using the Seachem products. I’m thinking something in the Seachem products is causing the eczema.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nickguy5467 said:
you're also getting fish feces and urine in your cuts. that cant be healthy

IMG_20200708_155224029.jpg
Yep, that’s what I use. Have a pair for each tank.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Finally found them in a size small. I still use the medium on my other tank as it’s at another house yet the correct size is a game changer. They are NOT easy to find! The size smalls I mean.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't really understand why people think a tank is such an enormous risk compared with daily life, petting another pet, working in the garden, cleaning the house, cuddling kids, etc etc......

A cut can get infected everywhere.
Bacteria and germs are everywhere.
You can "meet" the bad ones everywhere.

OP said it : probably while fishing in the river.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don’t really worry about stuff like that (should I?) Can’t be any different from exposing my hands to all sorts of stuff at the barn all day :hilarious:

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have been reaching my bare hands into my tanks for years now, never thought anything about. But one virus at a time please because tomorrow it will be something a lot worse than aquarium water to worry about.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VeiltailKing said:
I don’t really worry about stuff like that (should I?) Can’t be any different from exposing my hands to all sorts of stuff at the barn all day :hilarious:
Nowadays kids are pushed to play more outside, climb trees, scratch their knees, etc etc cause that's what getting more resistance for germs than when being on their playstation all the time.

We humans tend to live a sterilized life nowadays. There have never been more allergies than nowadays !

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DoubleDutch said:
I don't really understand why people think a tank is such an enormous risk compared with daily life, petting another pet, working in the garden, cleaning the house, cuddling kids, etc etc......

Yeah I totally get what your saying. My hands almost always have cuts on them in the summer from tearing salmon gills and usually heal without any problems. You just have to live life and stop worrying about everything.

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha I'm definitely in the same boat as those who prefer not to wear gloves (I hate how clumsy they feel). Liquid bandaid is a game changer; it sprays on and smells like nail polish remover but acts like super glue. It's completely water proof for a couple days and helps your cuts heal. I highly recommend it!

DoubleDutch said:

Completely agree, and like others said, it's healthy for your immune system to have regular exposure to "germs". That's why I didn't immediately worry about sticking my cut up hands into my tank, especially because I regularly do much worse with cuts like gut fish I catch and poke at the worms crawling out of their stomachs XD
However, have you ever experienced that feeling of a wound becoming infected? You know, it starts to sting a bit and the general area just starts to slowly feel unwell (I'm pretty body aware idk if this is normally noticed). Well that, along with red and puffy started to happen whilst it was wet with tank water. It's important to listen to your intuition!

Mind over matter though. If you believe tank water can make you sick, it's definitely more likely to. A good chunk of health is believing you are healthy, I think

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
STAR WARS REFERENCE

I don't like gloves. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You want a real incentive to protect your cuts? Google "palytoxin poisoning" and then thank your lucky stars you aren't running a reef! Always wash your hands before AND after putting them in the tank ;)

OP
Fae

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MomeWrath said:
You want a real incentive to protect your cuts? Google "palytoxin poisoning" and then thank your lucky stars you aren't running a reef! Always wash your hands before AND after putting them in the tank ;)
That's brutal, saltwater is a whole different world :eek:

New Threads