Psa Regarding Seachem Prime Smell

1. Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    Please chime in if you have had a different experience, but I am used to Prime stinking like sulfur and I just got a brand new bottle and was shocked that it was odorless. I, being the weirdo I am tested it in a glass of water to smell and see if the chlorine smell dissipated and it did.

Searching around the web a few others seem to have noticed the the smell gets worse after the bottle has been opened.

So just FYI, if your brand new bottle doesn't smell its probably just fresh, not that you accidentally got a bottle of water like I was worried may have happened :)

2. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

I've had that happen, too, except I don't think I ever thought of the idea that it might not really be Prime in the bottle. Odd, because I get worried about everything lol.

3. heeerefishyfishy Member Member

I bought Prime for the first time about 2 months ago and at the time I didn't realize it was supposed to smell like sulphur. I only noticed the odour after I'd used it a couple of times and I Googled it to make sure my bottle hadn't gone bad or something, haha.

4. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I bet if you started "typing should seachem" into google that it would auto fill "prime smell like sulphur" you might not have to even finish typing seachem lol

5. tjander Well Known Member Member

I think to be worried that someone took the Prime out of the bottle and replaced it with water, is a bit off.
    Seachem is a good company and I don't think would ever cheat there clients.
    If you think or worry about your local distributor or LFS would do this then I would recommend you find a different store.

6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

The first time I got prime I didn't know what the big deal was as it didn't smell too bad at all, a month later I knew.

7. HatterasMermaid Initiate Member

I used a brand new bottle of Prime 3 days ago! I am so glad that I saw this thread because I stuck my nose in as soon as I opened it to sniff...cause I am like that... I would have been the one googling wildly as LittleBudda suggested the next time I opened it to use it and noticed the change in smell! LOL Thank you in advance, ya'll!

8. Xsolidice Initiate Member

It's got a smell for sure. At least every bottle I've ever bought... TBH, I have never really smelled it out of the bottle. I smell it on my fingers because i'm clumsy with such things. Maybe there's a chemical reaction to the oils on your fingers that brings the sulfer out? I can't say I've ever smelled it in my tank, or even when I was pouring in a capful. Just when I put the cap back on and washed my hands afterward is when I notice it...

9. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

All the bottles smell different.

10. Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Perhaps I should clarify, I wasnt concerned Seachem would have done this deliberately, but that an error could have occurred in their mixing process, which isnt impossible, however I assume they have some sort of QC that watches for these sort of things. I mean heck, I have gotten chips before that didnt have seasoning on them at all, you would think that wouldnt pass either haha.

Sure enough even after 1 day being opened it smells of sulfur, must have to oxidize to bring out the goodness.

11. tjander Well Known Member Member

You have fallen into the trap. Prime is a good product, and Seachem is a good company. Don't stress it

12. popsikle Initiate Member

id be devastated if my prime lacked that smell. prime days are my fav... i know im a sick freak....

13. brook.lyn Member Member

I agree, everyone said it smelled funny so I opened it when I first bought it and it was odorless. Then I opened it to use it the next time and there that smell was..