PSA: Outside temperature gauges suck.

Valleriani

Just need to vent a little at my stupidity. I've had a Lido 200 for quite some time. It's a good tank, fairly tall, but been happy with it. Been running it for I would say almost a couple years now. It has a temperature display sticker on the outside (LCD temp display assume they are called.) First off, I want to point out that I'm sure these types of temp displays work ok in some cases, but the Lido 200 is a tall tank, and has pretty thick glass to compensate for it. So story time now.

Over the last few days we've had heat wave in Sweden, my gauge has been displaying 28C which is too high by my fish (By ~4C around.) I've been panicking thinking it's been to warm, so I lowered the temperature heater, even though the heater was only set to maybe 21C (Or around that, it's hard to gauge this heater cause the display on it sucks.). The heater was still kicking on at this point, I thought maybe the heat outside was causing issues, or my heater was becoming faulty. I was blindly trusting the temperature display sticker and I didn't fully know understand that LCD temp displays other then they are 'somewhat' inaccurate.

Luckily, I had a new tank I'm setting up which has a submerged temperature display I am using for shrimp (Small 20L for when babies are born.) I realized that their water and heater was set around 24C-25C and it was quite warmer. I was confused but then I realized that the display on the big tank is garbage. I used the gauge from the small tank into the big tank, and behold, the tanks sitting at 20C, not 28C. ****. I'm glad I caught this as I was going to toss colder water in. That would of been smart eh? I will say that 20C isn't bad, but I have fish that want 24-28C and fish that are around 20-25C, The temp I wanted was 24-25C for everyone. I kind of cringe because this has been going on for a long time now, specially in winter time where it could of been colder. I feel terrible.

Right now I'm slowly increasing the temp over the next few days, and I'm going to go pick up a temperature display with alarm, just in case. It's not worth risking (specially if the tank heater goes out of control!) If you have tank with fairly thicker glass (taller tanks come to mind) like the Juwel Lido series (or maybe even more of the Juwel products) I really must say check with a submersible temperature gauge if your using one of those stick on ones.

I guess I have been a little too comfortable, I should of checked my heater settings more properly. On a Juwel tank it is hidden in the background so it's somewhat set and forgotten. I been adjusting it with notches based on what the temperature says outside this whole time, and that was dumb of me. Winter time I had lost a 3-4 fish, makes me wonder if it's because of this. Tough to say, lesson learned.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
arodriguezh
Replies
Views
KinderScout
  • Question
Replies
Views
Whitelightning
Replies