PSA: 32.5 gallon Fluval flex trapped a BN pleco

Wendybrass

I just added a BN pleco to my tank last week and couldn't find him. Not unusual I know but after a couple days and no luck drawing him out at night I pretty much took my tank apart. If you have a fluval flex, on the sides is the slotted intake, which is fine. Had he gotten in there it's a cavernous area and he'd most likely be fine. However, in the middle is the housing for the pump and it hooks up to the output nozzles. Somehow he got in the output nozzle and couldn't get back out. This is where the water flows back into the tank 24/7. The only time I had it off was tank maintenance the day after I added him. It was off for about 30-40 minutes as I did a 50% change and thorough clean (discovered a struggling Danio) lights off etc, so he either got in there then wanting to escape the.messing around, although the water would have been high enough for him to get in there for maybe 15 minutes before I turned it back on, or he worked his way in while it was running.There's nowhere to go once he's in there except for the tube that hooks up to the pump. I found this all out when I turned my pump back on and it shot out his carcass. That was the 3rd time turning it back on before he was dislodged. So for anyone with this tank or thinking of getting one if you have a BN pleco you'll want to cover those outflow nozzles.

EnlightenedOne

I just got a 32.5 Flex as well. I have a 15G too and I've had loaches get into the intake area through the slot. Bigger Kuhli loach died because I had the water too high and he lept over the divider to the water pump area. Found his corpse the next morning. Now I don't fill too high. That may help people or get a piece of sponge and cut it open like a taco and tie it around the water output nozzle to lessen or block the flow. That's how mine are setup as most of the fish I keep don't like strong currents. Just enough to have water agitation on the surface. I've also cut up sponges to act as a pre filter for the intake slots on the sump vents so that debris gets caught there instead of the water intake area which is a pain to clean.

Blacksheep1

My sisters pleco lives there now in hers too. She can’t get him out. She’s tried all sorts to no avail.

RonP

Sounds like I got lucky with my flex 32.5! I have a colony of 20 or 30 multies of all sizes and ages. They are thriving. Maybe being bottom area dwellers helped.

Wendybrass

I just got a 32.5 Flex as well. I have a 15G too and I've had loaches get into the intake area through the slot. Bigger Kuhli loach died because I had the water too high and he lept over the divider to the water pump area. Found his corpse the next morning. Now I don't fill too high. That may help people or get a piece of sponge and cut it open like a taco and tie it around the water output nozzle to lessen or block the flow. That's how mine are setup as most of the fish I keep don't like strong currents. Just enough to have water agitation on the surface. I've also cut up sponges to act as a pre filter for the intake slots on the sump vents so that debris gets caught there instead of the water intake area which is a pain to clean.
I need to do that. It's such a pain to clean.
My sisters pleco lives there now in hers too. She can’t get him out. She’s tried all sorts to no avail.
Oh no! Is he in the side compartment or the outflow nozzle? Mine was in the nozzle and had I known I'd have just taken it off and he'd have been free. I don't know how I'd have gotten him out of the side compartment. Have to rig up a very narrow net I guess
Oh no! Is he in the side compartment or the outflow nozzle? Mine was in the nozzle and had I known I'd have just taken it off and he'd have been free. I don't know how I'd have gotten him out of the side compartment. Have to rig up a very narrow net I guess
Thanks for this.
Sounds like I got lucky with my flex 32.5! I have a colony of 20 or 30 multies of all sizes and ages. They are thriving. Maybe being bottom area dwellers helped.
My guppies, platies and Danios are great too! No issues. And this pleco is supposed to be on the bottom. He hung out in one corner one day. Moved to the other corner. I thought great, he's getting around, not burying himself, soon he'll start seeing him attached to the driftwood...and then he was gone. He's a bottom dweller but I've also learned they like a current so I'm thinking that's what attracted him to the outflow nozzle.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
mrsbrown