Proud new dad - had to share

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sooo exciting

:anim_65:

I am currently 30mins into acclimating my new fishy children.....

I am now the new proud dad of:

2 x Umbrella Cichlid [Apistogramma Borellii] (1M/1F may even breed )
4 x Pygmy Sparkling Gourami [Trichopsis pumila]

Anyway, had to share.....

[yes, I will post pics! hoto: ]

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new additions Ryanr! I'll be looking forward to the photos.

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yay! New fish!! Let me know how you like the gourami once they're settled in. I've looked at them as possible residents for my 5g.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations Ryan. I'm sure they will have been worth the agonising wait.
I'll keep an out for those pics.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone

hmmm, getting photos may well be a problem lol

The apistos have gone straight for the little caves I made for them last week. I made one each side of the tank to allow them some territory
Both seem to be starting to get some colour. I know they're young, but they actually have a bit of colour compared to when they were in the bag.

The pygmy's are proving impossible to find, let alone photograph... particularly in amongst the plants, they are so so so tiny!

Lisa, they have the most beautiful emeraldy/blue rings around their eyes

Anyway, I'll let everyone settle in, and I'll aim to post some photos in the next day or 2.

So far it looks like they like their new home!

Nutter - this game [hobby] is teaching me patience. I think more than anything, I'll be rewarded for doing my research and getting an idea about the fish first.

Hopefully the apisto's breed and I can sell some back to the LFS [they weren't cheap!] lol

oh, and my glowlights look giants atm

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pretty fish ryan, just looked them up. how do you have your tank setup for them specifically? just curious.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, being patient & doing your research are the biggest things in this hobby next the the nitrogen cycle. It will probably take a week or so of them settling in before they feel comfortable enough to let you point a camera at them without running away.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter - lol - yeah, at the moment I'm more concerned about letting them settle, and not stressing them any further. None of my fish like getting photos taken (just like their owner )

Jeta,
Here's one photo I took last week after re-scaping, and there's the two side shots in my album

On the left hand side, you'll see the 'red' rock, well there's a cave under that.
On the right hand side, you'll see the anubias on the driftwood, the wood is forked and has an entry with another rock at the back.

The plants allow plenty of space for the smaller fish to swim through, hide, play 'tag' lol etc, as well as giving them some cover.

I have allowed a communal swimming area in the middle (around the hygro), and there is also the upper area of the tank for the tetras and glowlights to exercise.

[edit: btw - the violets look horrible in this shot, they have stood up nicely, growing toward the light now, looks like I've got lots of new photos to come ]

Last edited:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congratulations on your new additions!

I've had sparkling gouramis for several months now and STILL can't get a decent pic of them, so you're not alone.

Looking forward to the pics. The apistos will be out and about more once they settle in. At least mine are.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congratulations on the new additions Ryan!

Your tank is very cool, by the way.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww.. Congrats! When I saw your thread title, I thought you were going to be a father and have a new born child or something... lol

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah! Happy for you! Enjoy your new additions!
(I, too, thought at first you were welcoming a new baby!....):-[

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Well they are my new babies! (ok maybe juvies, but still very young)
Still gotta feed them and change them (well their water anyway)

Thanks everyone

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AAAAH You found sparkling gourami! I'm so jealous. The guy near me who was going to order some in for me got croaking instead. Nowhere near as pretty. I am going to chase harder now. I still have a tank set up waiting.

I can't wait for photos.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
claudicles,
I'm pretty lucky, my LFS can get me just about anything. They may not be cheap, but at least they can get it, and more importantly, the quality is great.

Trichopsis Pumila (about 3cm) is known as - Sparkling Gourami, Dwarf Croaking Gourami, Green Croaking Gourami and Pygmy Gourami.

There is also Trichopsis Vittata (about 6cm), which is known as Sparkling Gourami and Croaking Gourami.

When I ordered mine, I e-mailed the store (I get along well with the guys at the LFS) with both the common name, and the proper/latin names to avoid confusion.

Most of us here will try and use proper/latin names wherever possible that way there's no confusion. Here's some comparison photos:

105.jpg
106.jpg

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photos

Ok, so these aren't the easiest little guys to photograph yet, but here's a crack at it... enjoy. Sorry, using my camera phone.

1. Shows new plants, standing up much better than before
2. Sparkling Gourami (hard enough to find, let alone photograph :giggle
3. My female Apisto Borellii (and b/n catfish in the background)
4. Female Apisto
5. Male Apisto w/some Glowlights (really had to get him out of his cave)

When I get a better camera, and they get some more colour, I'll share some more

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I can see, they look really good for young fish. Perhaps setting the camera up on some kind of stand in front of the tank & just leaving it there for a day or two will get them used to it more & then they won't want to run away as much when you try to get a pic. Of course you need a proper camera for that, you can't go leaving your mobile in front of the tank for two days.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom