Protruding Betta Lips

1. ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

~EverythingsSoSawbwa~ Member Member

Hi everyone.

When I got my betta, I noticed his lips kinda "stuck out" a bit more than other bettas lips. I thought it looked cute :)

In the last few days, I've noticed that his lips are sticking out more and have a white ring around it. It's never been like that before. I did a water change and tested parameters, which are all fine. Having a closer look at his lips, it almost looks a bit red/pink at the top. I tried to get a photo, but my camera wont zoom in enough.

I've attached some of the best photos I got. They really only show the white ring though.

Any ideas what could be making his lips like this?

Thank you. 20170717_175909.jpg 20170717_174008.jpg

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Can we get parameters? Temp? Tank size/ tank mates?

3. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

Parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate pH 8.2-8.4. Temp 26C. Size 8 gallons. Just a betta by himself, no tank mates. Its planted. Everything has been checked for sharp edges etc.

4. Caitlin86

Does he have a fuzz or film on his lips?

5. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

No, just his lips are a bit crooked and he has the white ring around it. Its a bit pink/red at the top.

6. Caitlin86

7. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

8. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Looks like cotton mouth to me in pic 1.

You'll need kanaplex or another strong antibiotic to treat that. Kana + furan 2 works great. Can we get a better pic of the side in pic 1?

9. Caitlin86

Cotton mouth is 1 of the 4 known strains of columnaris.

10. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

Ok, will go try and get some better pics soon. I'll have to see if I can get Kana and Furan2.

@Caitlin86 do you think he has cotton mouth?

11. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

^ Yup. Cottom mouth = columniris. Still needs to be treated, though. I had to deal with it twice; first time when I was overrun with my friend's unfortunate betta breeding project. Some guide suggested salt and I didn't know better, and the betta predictably died.

Second time around just recently with goldfish. This forum recommended kanaplex and furan, and just like that, no losses.

12. Caitlin86

Yes. Kanaplex and Furan is the treatment 2 go with. Please read the link I posted at the beginning.

13. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

He still is acting normal and is eating. I hope I can get kanaplex and furan. Its hard to find a lot of those type of things in Australia....I cant really get a clear photo of him. My camera is terrible. I'll lower the temp a bit.

14. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

Ok, unfortunately I cant get Kanaplex in Australia :( but I have found a place that has the API Furan2. Should I just get the Furan? I've heard Indian Almond Leaves help with cotton mouth, should I get some of them?

Thanks for all of the help @Caitlin86 @tunafax

15. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

No clue if you can get it in Australia or if it's betta safe, but I've killed cottonmouth off with Jungle Fungus Clear tabs, but I caught it really early. Eritheromyacin worked for me as well. Both cases in Columbian tetras.

16. OP
    OP
    ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~

Nope, can't get that here either. I've lowered the temp to 75F. Australia barely has any fish medication available. I guess just using the Furan2 wouldn't work by itself?