Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

I'm going to be setting up a new marine tank but it's been a while since I had my last one (5 years or so) and I've never had one with a sump so this is all new and exciting

New tank is going to be 3ft x 2ft x 2ft and have decided on radion xr15w pro (gen 4) lights x2 for the tank, now deciding on protein skimmer. I'm wanting to stick the skimmer in the sump (along with everything else lol) and as the tank is going to be in the living room it needs to be one of the quieter ones out there (as does the return pump). Does anyone have any suggestions for skimmers/pumps that are on the quieter side?

@Nart I hope you don't mind the tag, I know you have set up a few tanks so interested to hear your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice! This is about a 90 gallon display set-up? Can't wait to see this come along.
Bigger tanks are kind of outside my comfort zone so I wouldn't be able to help out much in terms of actual tank set-up. But, I've been doing plenty of research on bigger tank gear lately because I'm prepping for my 90'ish gallon cube tank build in the near near future So I can offer my research-suggestions in terms of equipment.

For the return pumps. Take a look at Ecotech Vectra pumps. I've been eyeing those for my return pumps. Quality, reliable, and fairly quiet.
For Protein Skimmers. I would take a look at Reef Octopus skimmers, good brand. Here's one I've been eyeing for my future build Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS 5" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer Great reviews about it's skimming ability and it's quiet.

And wheww...... on the Radion lights. Solid choice.

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice! This is about a 90 gallon display set-up? Can't wait to see this come along.
Bigger tanks are kind of outside my comfort zone so I wouldn't be able to help out much in terms of actual tank set-up. But, I've been doing plenty of research on bigger tank gear lately because I'm prepping for my 90'ish gallon cube tank build in the near near future So I can offer my research-suggestions in terms of equipment.

For the return pumps. Take a look at Ecotech Vectra pumps. I've been eyeing those for my return pumps. Quality, reliable, and fairly quiet.
For Protein Skimmers. I would take a look at Reef Octopus skimmers, good brand. Here's one I've been eyeing for my future build Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS 5" Internal Space Saving Protein Skimmer Great reviews about it's skimming ability and it's quiet.

And wheww...... on the Radion lights. Solid choice.
Thank you, I will look into those! Yes think around 90 gallons so should be decent I'll start a thread when I actually get my hands on the tank, it's going to be custom built so I can have the radions but also a lid/enclosed hood. I think the radions is the way to go on lighting but it does make me wince every time I see how much they cost lol!

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So - as nice as Radions are and I love em as well.
I think if you really want to focus on corals on growth and color... I would personally go with the Aquaticlife's T5HO Hybrid set-up.

I am even considering pulling the trigger on these lights for my IM25, but I keep telling myself that I will just save up for it to go with my bigger tank build.
36" Hybrid T5HO 4x39W Fixture with LED Mounting System - Aquatic Life
I think to have the best of both worlds in terms of spectrum and intensity is optimal.

Essentially this is a T5HO mounting system where you can place LED pucks of your choice in the center.
So you can definitely DIY this too or buy the Aquaticlife's T5 hybrid rig.

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's an interesting prospect! Hmm. Having real trouble being decisive about this lol, there are too many options for everything :shifty: my biggest issue is light mounting - I personally would prefer to have an open/rimless tank as it makes lighting so much easier but my dad is insistent on having a lid on the tank and as it's going in his house...I can't really object lol!

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like both looks. But I think in bigger tanks, a canopy looks a lot cleaner. So if you are doing a canopy, you can get 2-4 strips of T5HO and like 2-3 Radion pucks to mount within the canopy.
Keep in mind, T5s along with the LEDs will really help reduce the amount of shading in areas. Especially when you do SPS corals up top and etc...

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like both looks. But I think in bigger tanks, a canopy looks a lot cleaner. So if you are doing a canopy, you can get 2-4 strips of T5HO and like 2-3 Radion pucks to mount within the canopy.
Keep in mind, T5s along with the LEDs will really help reduce the amount of shading in areas. Especially when you do SPS corals up top and etc...
How are the T5HOs themselves mounted? It looks like it's a hanging kit in the link you provided?

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think we might be misunderstanding.

The AquaticLife's hybrid T5HO and LED system is a hanging kit correct.
I also said, if you are building things yourself with a canopy. You can also just get some regular T5HO fixtures and DIY rig it yourself.
So, you would buy like 2 T5HO fixtures to run along the canopy. Leave the middle of the canopy empty so you can mount the LEDs.

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think we might be misunderstanding.

The AquaticLife's hybrid T5HO and LED system is a hanging kit correct.
I also said, if you are building things yourself with a canopy. You can also just get some regular T5HO fixtures and DIY rig it yourself.
So, you would buy like 2 T5HO fixtures to run along the canopy. Leave the middle of the canopy empty so you can mount the LEDs.
Sorry just realised I never replied to this! That makes more sense, thank you lol. It looks like a great system but I'm struggling to source them in the UK I'm now also considering the AI Hydra 26 HDs as the mounts are much smaller, but not liking the reviews on the flex arm mounts I'm reading...sounds like it might be a pain. Maybe 2 AI primes...hmm o_O

Have decided on the bubble magus curve 7 for the protein skimmer

EDIT: oh, and a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.5 for return pump! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 75 66.4%