Protecting Baby Cherry Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Elodea, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Could i use a fine mesh over my power filter to protect my baby cherry shrimp? Will it impede the filter flow, or is it ok?

I'm planning on buying a 5 gallon tank and breeding cherry shrimp in it.

2. Danionins.com

Danionins.comValued MemberMember

Hi Elodea,

You can do that, but it might be easier to get a sponge pre-filter for the intake on your power filter...

Best of luck with your breeding project!

Dennis

3. iloveengl

iloveenglWell Known MemberMember

Members have used new-from-the-package pantyhose, stuffing the intake with filter floss, or slitting a sponge and slipping it over the intake filter, and it works great to keep tiny fry/shrimp/eggs from getting sucked up, but still allows water to circulate.

:)

4. Robin4

Robin4Valued MemberMember

Hi Elodea,

Welcome to fishlore! I've tried the pantyhose & filterfloss over the usual intake tube. They will slow down the return water flow. I chose to use a sponge filter in my shrimp tank. Here's a website to look at for some examples:

My shrimp love "picking" all over that sponge filter. They actually are keeping it clean! Good luck and post pictures once you get everything set up! :)

Robin

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the replies. Can I just slip a sponge over the power filter intake?

6. Danionins.com

Danionins.comValued MemberMember

Most definitely! I'm all about diy to save some cash...

Dennis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice