pros and cons of marbled crayfish

1. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

i have been wanting some and on aquabid they have some. i have done my research and was wondering if anyone had any pros and cons about them. i have heard that you can put them in a community tank is this true too?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

crays IMO do not belong in community tanks..they are predators that can sneak up on fish and chomp on them..especially fish that really settle down and nite and just snooze....but everyone has opinions ;)

3. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Not sure if i'm correct or not but surely they would nip any thing resting on the bottom at lights out.

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I know normal crays will but I have read that marbled crays are different and I wanted to confirm it.

They are herbivores, they will nip plants but if you provide algae tablets and blanched greens then they should leave plants alone. They don't eat their babies so I think they should eat other fish

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

The only differences as far as i know, is that they are all females that can clone themselves and dont need a male to do so..their colors are different but they are still crayfish who prey on others for food

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Shawnie, I thought they were herbavores with a tiny bit if ominivore in them

7. Danionins.com Member Member

Hi Gouramiguy17! I've been keeping some marble crays for about a year now.

In some ways they are more docile like other dwarf crays and in some ways not! I keep some of mine in with Danios and have never seen any aggression towards the fish.

Where as my other dwarf crays do well in planted tanks my marble crays will eat anything green. I assumed since they were dwarfs they could be kept in planted tanks - I don't house them like that any more. I put a handful of java grass in their tanks and they seem very happy with it. They also get algae wafers and shrimp sticks.

Hope this bit of info helps.

Dennis

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Do they eat the java moss? Do they do good with bottom dwellers like cories?

9. Danionins.com Member Member

Mine don't eat the java moss, but if it was all that was available, they just might. They will eat anubias which lots of plant eaters won't touch.

I have only kept one in with a cory cat and I didn't have any problems... I think it was too busy eating down my best planted tank to worry about the fish! I sent to home with my son and now he has about 100 marble babies.

I've had them in with otocinclus cats without any problems.

Dennis

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Have you ever shipped crayfish before? And do you have any crays that you would be willing to sell?

11. Danionins.com Member Member

Never crayfish, but I've shipped hundreds of fish and dwarf shrimp ;D

I'll check with my son and see if he wants to part with some...

I haven't shipped anything for almost a month - it's getting well below freezing every night around here. Even with insulated boxes and heat packs it's risky to ship when it gets this cold.

Dennis

12. Crimsonbull57 Member Member

Hey, I know you've read up on Marble Crays but maybe check-out ArizonaInverts.com
    There are a lot of experienced people who raise and breed crays so they would be able to help you out too.
    Oh and Danionins what types of shrimp are you keeping? I recall you saying you kept quite a few types?

(didnt' mean to threadjack)

13. Danionins.com Member Member

At one time I had about 10 different kinds... I'm down to just 4 now. Red Cherry shrimp, Yellow shrimp (just a color variation of the Cherries), Tiger shrimp, and Dark Green shrimp.

They are really neat to keep, but I just had too many tanks tied up with them... so many of them will cross breed and produce ugly mutts you need to be very careful mixing them in the same tank.

Dennis