Proposed Plant List For Walstad Tank

Blue-Green

I am planning on starting a little 2.5g tank using the Walstad method. I’m going to try it with java moss, red ludwigia, bronze crypt, marimo moss balls, frogbit, and java fern (I can steal all of them from my 10 gallon except the java fern which I’ll have to buy).

I’m going to attempt as low tech as possible...no heater, no filter, just a small light. Plants only, at least at first. Possibly a few cherry shrimp later, once I know it’s not going to be a huge failure haha.

What do you think? Does anyone who’s used the Walstad method have any tips or suggestions?

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Sarcasm Included

At least initially you will want to use fast growing plants in order to absorb any ammonia put off by the soil. Mexican Oakleaf, Brazilian Pennywort, and Parrot feather are extremely fast growers that are good to start with and trash later. They grow 3-6 inches a week, sometimes more so you will need to trim them frequently. You can use medium growing plants like Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, and Anacharis and remove when the tank is stable.

Blue-Green

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Thank you!

At least initially you will want to use fast growing plants in order to absorb any ammonia put off by the soil. Mexican Oakleaf, Brazilian Pennywort, and Parrot feather are extremely fast growers that are good to start with and trash later. They grow 3-6 inches a week, sometimes more so you will need to trim them frequently. You can use medium growing plants like Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, and Anacharis and remove when the tank is stable.

Ooh, okay! I’d been thinking about pennywort and water sprite. I also figured the frogbit would be a good fast grower. At least, it seems to double in my 10 gallon every week haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
anubiasbanana
Replies
Views
Unforgiving Llama
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views