Proper Way? When They Kick The Hay

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feed mine to the cats or sometimes my dogs eat them.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PheonixKingZ said:
Dislike to all the posts above!!!!!!!! Why do you guys not burry your fish? Even if 27 die in a day so what? If 27 people from your family die in a day, what would you do? Just dump them in the nearest stream? Or maybe just throw them in the landfill!! OF COURSE NOT!!!! Even if all of them had cancer you would still bury them properly, have a serimony(wich MIGHT be a little much for a fish), and them fish them on your way. But flushing them down a toilet?? Come on man!! Would you like to meat the end like that? In answer to your question, yes I ALWAYS burry my fish.
I hope my body parts are able to be donated and whatever can't be is cremated and dumped somewhere and not put on a mantle somewhere but guess what, I'm dead and I don't really care what you do with my body.

You don't have to have a beautiful burial for anyone or any of your fish. Burial ceremonies are to help the living feel better, not the dead. If you want to put up a shrine for all of your dead fish I suppose you can. We've buried a couple of our bettas. I would never put them in a house plant, they wouldn't decompose as well as they would outside in the ground and I've always wondered about dead fish smell.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Umm I toss them out in the yard. I figure something could use a free meal.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in the "I'm dead, so I don't care!" camp for myself. I don't particularly want my body parts donated, but that's only because I want them to be old and thoroughly used-up, with zero tread life left on them. I'm mostly there already...

Dead fish? No flushing or throwing in the river, for ecological reasons as stated above. I want their bodies to rejoin the natural system and the best way is for them to be eaten, either whole by some critter or by bacteria. If they're too large to be eaten in one gulp by one of the resident Blue Jays or Magpies, they get buried. Not a "serimony" (nobody has SpellCheck anymore?), not a "burial"...I'm talking one shovelscoop taken out of the garden, throw the fish in and then cover and tamp down.

How did Einstein enter into this? Did he keep fish? And if so...what did he do with the dead ones?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Really, it's very similar to people. There are thousands of different cultures and burial methods. Personally, I don't like cremation. It's a personal and cultural thing. If someone has a close family member and they cremate them, it doesn't mean that they loved them less than someone who buried their love one.
Unless you're desecrating a corpse (feeding to other animals doesn't count, I view that as giving back), how you dispose of the corpse doesn't matter. And burial is a form of disposal, whether we like to think that or not.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PheonixKingZ said:
Dislike to all the posts above!!!!!!!! Why do you guys not burry your fish? Even if 27 die in a day so what? If 27 people from your family die in a day, what would you do? Just dump them in the nearest stream? Or maybe just throw them in the landfill!! OF COURSE NOT!!!! Even if all of them had cancer you would still bury them properly, have a serimony(wich MIGHT be a little much for a fish), and them fish them on your way. But flushing them down a toilet?? Come on man!! Would you like to meat the end like that? In answer to your question, yes I ALWAYS burry my fish.
I would be willing to throw some of my family members in a landfill because I sure as heck wouldn't pay to bury all them sapsuckers! lol.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My daughter was really upset when her betta passed, so we put him in a tiny earring box and buried him in the yard. We planted some forget-me-nots around the grave, and she even made a little stepping stone marker with all of the nicest rocks from his aquarium. Really sweet. I've buried a betta in our flower garden as well. I've also put snails and fish out where we put birdseed for the birds and squirrels, knowing that someone will eat them! In the winter, these are not options, so I shamefully have put dead ones in the compost bin -- it somehow feels disrespecful, but I know that's just me being sensitive :sorry:
Any way you look at it, they all go back to the earth. How they get there just depends on how emotionally attached you are to your fish. It's different for everyone.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Burying in a plant or garden outside is the only way I lay my fish to rest. Weather it’s the middle of summer or the middle of a blizzard it’s basically less than a shovels worth of dirt. Flushing a fish should never happen as many have mentioned the possible parasites getting into waterways. I’ll pass on replying about the ones that said it don’t matter where they are buried that’s just ignorant

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Regardless of whether or not you were attached as you would be to a furry pet, I really don't like the idea of just chunking them out in the yard or feeding them to other pets. I don't think they necessarily need a burial, but come on! Anyways, to each their own.

I normally discard mine, but I did bury my goldfish Finn. Might as well; I cried the whole afternoon anyway so I might as well bury him while I was at it.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You guys are so mean!! You are joking about death!! I will stop looking at this post before I get in trouble with a moderator. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also I wanted to mention that I plan on burying my fish I've had for years, mainly because I can be sure that they don't have pathogens. However, I don't plan on burying them all. I have some in my freezer (roommate does NOT like!), and I plan on preserving them. I have some that I wasn't too attached to kinda experiment on so I can find a way to preserve the color. Had a betta imbellis pass, and I really want to try and preserve him right. Unfortunately, taxidermy isn't an option for a fish that size, I checked.
On the other hand, I plan to use a gyotaku method (spelling?) that Japanese fishermen do to record their catches. Already have the Sumi ink and rice paper, and practiced on a bass to make sure I do it right.
Even with my own fish, I plan to remember them differently.
@PhoenixKingZ what would you have done in my situation? Can't bury them outside as you could infect the wild population (and it's protected land literally 4 feet past the pet graveyard), can't bury them inside due to a lack of flower pots and a cat, and you've got 28 dead and smelly fish on your hands.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We treat then the same way we would any of the little ones in our family, burry or creamate.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
You guys are so mean!! You are joking about death!! I will stop looking at this post before I get in trouble with a moderator. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
Hey man, calm down. Most of us don't think of death the way you do. We believe the body is just a vessel and that we pass on. I entirely understand different cultures, but I think it would help if you looked in from our point of view.
Also, just posted above, but what would you have done in my situation? I'd really like your insight, I'm not trying to be rude

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I guess it depends on what you are used to also. I live in a farm, death is a very normal part of raising animals, especially our chickens, we sometimes pick up 300 to 400 dead ones a day. So I am used to seeing other animals eating them, and it doesn't bother me at all. Circle of life. So to me, feeding my dead fish to my dogs is just natural. But each to their own. I would never ridicule some one who buries a fish and has a small memorial for them. I just personally don't get attached to my fish like some do. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. Just a personal decision everyone has to make!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I guess it depends on what you are used to also. I live in a farm, death is a very normal part of raising animals, especially our chickens, we sometimes pick up 300 to 400 dead ones a day. So I am used to seeing other animals eating them, and it doesn't bother me at all. Circle of life. So to me, feeding my dead fish to my dogs is just natural. But each to their own. I would never ridicule some one who buries a fish and has a small memorial for them. I just personally don't get attached to my fish like some do. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. Just a personal decision everyone has to make!
Yeah, I used to be on a farm for a while as a kid! I got free reign of the chicken coop (coup?) as a kid, so I'd spend the whole time running around, grabbing the chickens, and taking some of them into the little farm house. Then we'd have them for dinner every now and then. It's just something that you get desensitized to. And getting used to babies dying as well. There was one goat in particular who never had a baby make it past 3 days

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
...death is a very normal part of raising animals...
This is sad but true. Death is inevitable, and one of the many ways that pets enrich our lives is by teaching this unavoidable fact to our children. If they can learn to accept it during their developmental years, it will be easier for them to face it when they inevitably encounter it throughout their lives as adults.

Like Smalltownfishfriend, I grew up on a farm and had to learn to deal with the death of an animal early on. The passing of a dog can and does still crush me emotionally, and I can't imagine how people who grew up without this "training", for lack of a better word, can cope with it when the time comes. Disposing of a carcass...whether a pet that has died, a meat animal that has been slaughtered or hunted, a pest rodent caught in a trap or a predator shot in defence of livestock...has to be done. There is no disrespect intended or displayed, except by those individuals calling others "ignorant" or attempting to shame them simply because they look at it differently (more realistically, perhaps?).

Joking about death? Yeah, that happens, and it becomes less difficult as the event draws nearer.

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guys, guys....have you not heard of the circle of life. Look at Nature, it recycles . Put them in the ground and mother earth will take care of the rest. " From dust thou commest and to dust thou will return"

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Rtessy said:
Hey man, calm down. Most of us don't think of death the way you do. We believe the body is just a vessel and that we pass on. I entirely understand different cultures, but I think it would help if you looked in from our point of view.
Also, just posted above, but what would you have done in my situation? I'd really like your insight, I'm not trying to be rude

PheonixKingZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would have buried all the fish(in a garden or somewhere you could see I every day) in a mass grave!! And pay your respects!! You guys do know this has turned into a “Talk about death” forum than a fish forum right?? Just be nice to fish(even if they are dead) and stop joking about death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
I would have buried all the fish(in a garden or somewhere you could see I every day) in a mass grave!! And pay your respects!! You guys do know this has turned into a “Talk about death” forum than a fish forum right?? Just be nice to fish(even if they are dead) and stop joking about death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, no. I mean my specific situation. I don't have a garden to bury them. I can't bury them in my yard because a protected and vulnerable water system is literally a few feet away and these fish had 6+ diseases.
And yes, it is a "talk about death" thread. So we are talking about death. It's a valid question, since most people don't know that they can't flush fish.
But what would you do in my situation? I literally could not have buried them. Impossible. What was I supposed to do? Flushing isn't an option, same infection reason, and I don't have the tools to cremate them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom