Proper Way? When They Kick The Hay

SofieSoyy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I know that eventually my little babies will pass on and as hard as that is to think about I don't really know the best way to send them off into heaven. I'm very new to having an aquarium when I was little I had the goldfish from the carnival and we always flushed it when it was time. But now that am older I was wondering what do you think the best way is? A flush? A burial?

Marijn Lange

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personal preference. I think burying a fish is a little too much. I just trow or flush them away.

OP
SofieSoyy

SofieSoyy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Marijn Lange said:
Personal preference. I think burying a fish is a little too much. I just trow or flush them away.
That's what I was thinking because right behind my house we have a plant nursery and I don't wamt to walk outside and see a grave dug up. But I was also thinking flush wise is that bad for the environment?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its no so much flushing the fish itself. Its flushing any pathogen or parasite it could of died from and introducing it into the water way. Now if you have your own septic system this contains it just to your yard primarily but some public waists facilities are not up to par and don't treat the waist for these issues. So its best not to flush fish.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bury mine if I've had them for a long time, but recently I got a bunch of parasite ridden minnows and had 28 die in a single day. I'm not about all that mass grave stuff, so I just bagged them and threw them away.

LeticiaM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have heard some people will bury them in house plants, which seems like a nice tribute to ones that are special to you.
My luck I would go to repot the plant and a half-decayed fish would fall out though!

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dislike to all the posts above!!!!!!!! Why do you guys not bury your fish? Even if 27 die in a day so what? If 27 people from your family die in a day, what would you do? Just dump them in the nearest stream? Or maybe just throw them in the landfill!! OF COURSE NOT!!!! Even if all of them had cancer you would still bury them properly, have a serimony(wich MIGHT be a little much for a fish), and them fish them on your way. But flushing them down a toilet?? Come on man!! Would you like to meat the end like that? In answer to your question, yes I ALWAYS bury my fish.

windrunner9189

Well Known
Reaction score
PheonixKingZ said:
Dislike to all the posts above!!!!!!!! Why do you guys not bury your fish? Even if 27 die in a day so what? If 27 people from your family die in a day, what would you do? Just dump them in the nearest stream? Or maybe just throw them in the landfill!! OF COURSE NOT!!!! Even if all of them had cancer you would still bury them properly, have a serimony(wich MIGHT be a little much for a fish), and them fish them on your way. But flushing them down a toilet?? Come on man!! Would you like to meat the end like that? In answer to your question, yes I ALWAYS bury my fish.
i'm not saying fish are completely dumb, but they don't have the cognitive ability to care about where their resting place is. I respect your love for fallen pets but not everybody wants to bury them.
honestly it's really up to OP how they want to do it.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I freeze them in plastic bag till it is garbage night then get them out to the can .
No harm in burying them in garden

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
firesflightt said:
i'm not saying fish are completely dumb, but they don't have the cognitive ability to care about where their resting place is. I respect your love for fallen pets but not everybody wants to bury them.
honestly it's really up to OP how they want to do it.
Well according to that logic, then we shouldn’t care where our resting spot is!! I mean are you smarter than Einstein? What you are saying is that lesser species of animals don’t care where there final resting spot is!? Then unless you are smarter than Einstein, you better be thinking about a nice after life in the sewer system.......

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PheonixKingZ said:
There's a major river system in my backyard, these fish had columnaris, fungus, internal parasites, external parasites, and another unidentified disease. I'm not risking a river that passes through multiple states and leads to several fish farms, one of which is less than half a mile from me, just to give them a little extra respect. Two died before I even made my way to the counter (~30 seconds). My tribute to them is keeping as many of their friends alive as possible.
If 27 people in my family died, there's probably a bigger issue going on than random deaths. I'd start running from the apocalypse, you can't always give the dead the burial they want. Half my family wants to be creamated, a quarter wants to be buried, and the other quarter have three other methods of paying their respects. Realistically, bodies decay quickly, you won't be able to respect them all.
Edit: I don't read care about my resting place, I would have moved on. I just want the people who love me to be at peace, that's all

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I never said dump them in a stream !!!! I said pay your respects to your fish!!!! Do you really not care about your fish? Are they just entertainment to you!! And do you really expect me to belive, that when you die you don’t care where your buried?!?!? So you would be fine being buried in your local landfill, instead of having a proper burial !?!

And FYI, you can still respect the grave of someone, it doesn’t matter if the person is decayed, it was still a loved one and still is.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PheonixKingZ said:
I never said dump them in a stream !!!! I said pay your respects to your fish!!!! Do you really not care about your fish? Are they just entertainment to you!! And do you really expect me to belive, that when you die you don’t care where your buried?!?!? So you would be fine being buried in your local landfill, instead of having a proper burial plan!!?????!!!!!?????? I my word........
Ofc not dump them, but rain would carry their diseases the 100 feet to the river. Not that far, very possible.
And yeah, I don't really care where I'm buried. Heck, I don't care if I'm buried, I just don't want to be creamated. And yeah, I'm fine with the landfill, give the little critters that live there a nice buffet.
Bruh, I had them for one day, so no, didn't care that much. Tried my best, but they died

windrunner9189

Well Known
Reaction score
PheonixKingZ said:
Well according to that logic, then we shouldn’t care where our resting spot is!! I mean are you smarter than Einstein? What you are saying is that lesser species of animals don’t care where there final resting spot is!? Then unless you are smarter than Einstein, you better be thinking about a nice after life in the sewer system.......
i'm not saying i'm smarter than anyone. I just wanted to prove a point.
also, yes we are humans, we can care about our resting places. we can care about our fish's, but they don't even know or care what they want themselves. like Rtessy said, people would want different resting places or none in specific. we don't know what our fish would want because they can't think like that. sure, we bury humans, but what about animals in the wild? fish would be eaten and turned into waste most likely.
again, as said by Rtessy, I think the best respect we can give to them is do our best to keep their friends alive.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use them for bait. It's what they would have wanted.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
I use them for bait. It's what they would have wanted.
^^That's why you are one of my favorites !^^ I think I have heard mine ask to go to the river also .Perhaps a safety line /leash would assure their return and us continuing our fishy relationship ! I had not thought of that before …
I think it is nice you take your fish for walks !

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
^^That's why you are one of my favorites !^^ I think I have heard mine ask to go to the river also .Perhaps a safety line /leash would assure their return and us continuing our fishy relationship ! I had not thought of that before …
I think it is nice you take your fish for walks !
Likewise

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I die I could care less what happens. Just put me in the ditch and call me phil.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's an old saying... When they kick the hay... flush 'em to the bay.

New Threads