Help Proper way to do a salt bath?

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m pretty sure my Honey Gourami has a swim bladder issue, but I can’t find clear instructions on how to do a salt bath even though I see it recommended a lot. I tried using aquarium salt in one gallon of water from the aquarium but it seemed like he was breathing too quickly so I took about half out and added more water from the tank but ended up taking him out after 20 minutes.

When can I try again and what’s the right way to do it?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive only done it once, but i think its along the lines of putting that fish in a small container of tank water and adding the preffered amount of aquarium salt . i mean like disolve the salt in the water and then add the fish. but thats only how i comprehend it. should be directions i think. probably how i did it. i dont remember

usually not a good idea to medicate your entire tank for one fish. this way you use less meds or salt(not that salt is expensive) and its more concentrated in a small space.

OP
oodelally

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MrsPancakes said:
You use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) rather than aquarium salt
Is there a reason for the difference? Just wondering. I’m not sure if I have epson on hand that doesn’t have “lavender” or something else added in. When can I try again if I do?

MrsPancakes

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oodelally said:
Is there a reason for the difference? Just wondering. I’m not sure if I have epson on hand that doesn’t have “lavender” or something else added in. When can I try again if I do?
Aquarium salt is sodium chloride. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. They are two different chemical compounds. Also, it must be pure Epsom; any additives may kill the fish. I would do it as soon as possible.

OP
oodelally

oodelally

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MrsPancakes said:
Aquarium salt is sodium chloride. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. They are two different chemical compounds. Also, it must be pure Epsom; any additives may kill the fish. I would do it as soon as possible.
I found some pure epson (at least I’m pretty sure it is) and am giving him another bath now, but he seems to be breathing heaving again. How do I know if he is distressed enough to take him out?

New Threads