Proper Tank Size for my Stand

1. Chuck Wheat Member Member

I'm not sure that this is in the right section, but I'm trying to find out about tank:stand ratios. I have a very sturdy china cabinet that I'll be converting into my new tank stand. It is approximately 43" long and a little over 13" deep. I was planning on getting a 45g (36" x 13" x 24")...but will a sturdy stand accommodate a longer tank? I don't know enough about it yet, should I stay away from overlap as much as possible?

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah you wouldn't want to go over the stand's measurements at all. Most tanks are kind of held by their corners, so the corners have to be on a solid surface.

3. Chuck Wheat Member Member

Thats what I was thinking, but one guy I talked to said a couple inches was fine...which I don't really buy. I see stands that have narrow bases, but they have a platform that goes under the entirety of the aquarium.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A platform that goes over the entire top of the stand isn't necessary, just that the entire rim is supported. For rimmed tanks, the stand doesn't contact the glass on the bottom of the tank; the rim is the important part to support.

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with TexasDomer. A stand should match the dimensions of the tank as much as possible. And there should absolutely be no overlap where any part of the tank is hanging over the edge of the stand. Most of the time having a stand that is bigger than the tank is fine. However, you'll want to study the supports of the stand to make sure that where the rim of the tank will be sitting is adequately supported.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, I'd love to get my hands on your china cabinet! I have a custom 42" x 12" tank that would fit perfectly on that;)

Pictures when you're done please!

7. Chuck Wheat Member Member

Definitely! I'll do some before and afters...but really, the top unbolts from the bottom part (something that would have been handy to know before moving cities twice by myself with that thing) but it is going to make a great stand. I'm hoping to sand it a little bit and maybe refinish it before setting it up. And adding a few pegs and a tray for air drying my test tubes. It has a huge storage space underneath so that I can put hooks to air dry the hose after water changes and store buckets/supplies. Then I'll probably cut a hole in the back to run cords to the outlet. I'm super excited about the project, I've just been putting it off until I get closer to having the money for the tank.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I put a plastic multi-tier thread spool holder in the drawer on top of a plastic food tray for my test tubes;) Chuck Wheat
    IMG_20160620_114328682.jpg

9. Chuck Wheat Member Member

That sounds perfect and less work. I was going to plane out a quarter inch for a plastic tray and drill holes for wooden pegs or something, but that sounds easier and within the realm of possibility since I don't have the tools to plane out a perfect rectangle!

Would I find something like that at a craft store or hobby lobby or something?

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Any sewing store should have different kinds of spool holders or scope out secondhand stores for old sewing baskets and harvest the plastic spool holder out of that!