proper tank mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by blt4ever, Jul 14, 2015.

1. blt4everNew MemberMember

Hi all, im new to the forum, and fairly new to fish keeping. I have had a 75 gallon tank for about 6 months now, after cycling the tank i have slowly been stocking it with fish my family enjoys. I have been researching some fish to add but seem to find varying input on them. I currently have a cascade 1500 filter, im keeping the water at 78 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate, ph is 7.8. In the tank now i have 9 zebra danios, 8 neon tetra, 4 glo fish danios, 3 otos, 5 black skirt tetras, and i have 8 endlers in a quarentine tank i will be adding. I really like the looks of the german blue ram but I have read they require warmer water,I also like the look of boeseman rainbow fish but have read they might attack the neon tetras. Does anyone have any ideas of colorful unique looking fish that will be happy in my water conditions that will live peacefully with my other fish? Also my son really wants some african dwarf frogs but I have read that they wont do well with the fish i have due to food not reaching the bottom, any opinions on this? Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

African Dwarf Frogs really need a species-only tank as they will be outcompeted for food. For a colorful, peaceful fish, try a Kribensis, its a dwarf cichlid that gets to be about 3" or so. It's the fish in my avatar.

By the way, welcome to Fishlore!

3. alinkWell Known MemberMember

First, Welcome to FishLore! :)

Next..
    -Zebra Danios do best in cooler temp, like 75 or less.
    -Glofish Danio would also do best in cooler temp, 75 or less, unless you mistakely said danio and meant tetra. Either way, they need a school of at least 6 for optimal health
    -Otos should be in groups of 6 or more as well, in a 75g, 10-12 would be nice. They dont contribute much to to your bioload.
    -Skirt Tetras would do better if you added a few more of them, but that is not super critical. We like to suggest 6 for a minimum for schooling/shoaling fish.
    -African Dwarf Frogs need small, species only tanks. They are not the best swimmers, so a tank of 10-12 inches tall is best for them in order to breath air from the surface.
    -If you changed the temp or your tank to 75, all the fish would be okay. Ideally the Tetras should be 76 or higher and the danios 75 or less. You are at the border of both extremes, so worse case scenario the fish will have shortened lives, but it wont kill them in a week.
    -Having the tank at 75 really limits what you can put in for a cichlid. Apistogrammas is one that can tolerate the low temp, Kribensis and Rainbow cichlids are others that would do well.

Sorry if my critique of your tank offends you. That is not my intention. I am just trying to help you and point out things that you may not know. :)

4. blt4everNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice, I am still very new to the hobby and will never get offended by advice from others. I will definetaly research the fish that have been recommended

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I agree with alink's advice.
    The boeseman or rams wouldn't work, because they need higher temps than your danios.
    And otos need a group of 6+.
    On the glofish danios, they are the same species as the zebra danios so you don't need to get more of them, you have 13 combined already.

6. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i just stopped by to welcome you!!! :;pickle:;pickle:;pickle:;pickle:;pickle:;pickle looks like you have a pickle of a question

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice