Proper pH

MSteel

Reaction score
I really wanted to get a couple of Angel Fish for my aquarium but after doing some research and testing our water I'm not sure they will thrive or be easy to keep. Our pH is 7.8-8.0, from what I've read Angels prefer 6.8. I don't want to fight a chemical war in my tank - are there any optoins or should I scrap the Angel Fish idea?

Thanks!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the ph. A stable ph is much more important than a "proper" ph. Ph is usually only important when you have wild caught fish or you are breeding certain species like discus. Just make sure you acclimate your new babies well in case your ph is different from the store water. I have angels in a tank here at home and my ph is 7.6. I have had them over 2 years and they are just fine!

MSteel

Reaction score
Thank you! Good to know!!!

OzzieJay

Reaction score
Hey Gunnie..... Am I safe to assume this is the same for most species ?

I've been reading up lately & it seems that some of the fish I have prefer varying PH levels but they all seem healthy & happy.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have angels in water that has a ph of 7.4. They have even spawned in that ph. As Gunnie said a stable Ph is more important than the "perfect ph
Thats how it is with most species of fish unless they are wild caught, then they are a little more sensitive.
Carol

OzzieJay

Reaction score
Cool, thanks.

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thats good to know! My pH straight from the tap is just barely 7.0, Its just about impossible to keep it there, so even with weekly water changes it stays around 6.8.

MSteel

Reaction score
We just didn't want to get into a chemical battle with fish involved. I'm very happy to hear that a stable pH is better than a perfect pH.

Thanks!!!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with the above replies A stable pH is more important than a slightly higher or lower one from that which the fish would have in natural environment. Just make sure you acclimatize them properly.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Manicivy said:
Thats good to know! My pH straight from the tap is just barely 7.0, Its just about impossible to keep it there, so even with weekly water changes it stays around 6.8.
Your ph is very desireable for many of the south and central american cichlids.  The africans do better in a higher ph, but my multies did very well in 7.6 ph.  Another time when ph is important is when you want to breed certian fish. Discus require a lower ph when breeding because their eggs will calcify and the babies will not be allowed to hatch because the egg is too hard. The ph can also affect mating behavior, and some fish won't spawn without the right ph. But just to have fish in a tank (and they are not wild caught), ph is not real important as long as you acclimate them when you get them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom