Question Proper Ph Question

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my tanks (all 4 of them...) are at a ph of 6.2 despite my tap water being a base of 7.
I do water changes (20 to 50%) every friday.
None of the tanks share a substrate or plants or even fish, so im not sure whats causing the drop

but i wanted to get some of APIs proper pH 7.0 to add to my tanks, but wanted to know if itd be safe to put into my tanks with the ph at 6.2 or should i slowly bring it up with ph up to like 6.8 - 7 and then start using it to maintain the ph level?

Also is it really going to kill my plants? It says not for use for aquariums with live plants but want to know if itll kill them or merely stunt growth.

Last edited:

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
pH doesn't matter, any fish can adapt to any pH as long as you keep it stable and consistent. Don't chase a specific number, just keep your pH to 6.2 and your fish will be fine.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pH doesn't matter, any fish can adapt to any pH as long as you keep it stable and consistent. Don't chase a specific number, just keep your pH to 6.2 and your fish will be fine.
my snail however can not lol. the 6.2 ph is destroying his shell

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then you can add some crushed corals. It will raise your pH.
i like that option better,t hank you. im always reluctant to use chemicals but i wasnt sure which route to go
thank you!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you'll want to get a GH/KH test to check your GH/KH levels every few weeks. they're going for around $8-9 on ebay.

KH is carbonate, aka the buffer, which helps to counter the acids produced by the nitrogen cycle, any driftwood, or CO2 in the water. The crushed coral will provide carbonate and some calcium for your snail and help raise, then stablize the pH. start slow, you don't want to shock your fish. maybe a cup at first, test the GH/KH a week later. add more if needed, test a week later, until you get it above 7.0

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you'll want to get a GH/KH test to check your GH/KH levels every few weeks. they're going for around $8-9 on ebay.

KH is carbonate, aka the buffer, which helps to counter the acids produced by the nitrogen cycle, any driftwood, or CO2 in the water. The crushed coral will provide carbonate and some calcium for your snail and help raise, then stablize the pH. start slow, you don't want to shock your fish. maybe a cup at first, test the GH/KH a week later. add more if needed, test a week later, until you get it above 7.0
i put about 3/4 of a cup into the cnister filter of my 55 gallon. my lfs told me to start slow so i made sure not to put too much.
ill get a test for my gh/kh tomorrow

Ivanovikch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK...Your PH is linked to your KH ( Carbonate Hardness)...Have you checked it? A KH of 3 should be enough to keep a stable PH around 7.0...every tank is different. So please check your KH ...I would suggest... if you want to change your PH...add baking soda...I do not remember the dosing but Google might help you OR get Seachem Alkaline buffer...it can be used with live plants...live plants need GH 3dgh and KH 3 dkh.

Hope it helps.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom