Proper Numbers Of Fish

1. BillyFlaps

BillyFlaps Initiate Member

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a 36 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin 350. The water temp has been in the mid to upper 70’s and the PH around 7.5.

Yesterday I bought my first fish. 4 Rummy Nose Tetra, 2 Cory Cats, and a Pleco. This was advised by the guy at my local pet store. Now that I’ve been reading up on them (after the fact), I think I should have gotten a few more tetra and maybe one more Cory cat. Would I be better off with larger groups of them? Or am I just being confused by all the conflicting info online?

Thanks,

Billy

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing you are referring to the 1" per gallon "rule"? Cory's like to school so 3-4 is always nice. I'm not a tetra fan or expert by any stretch of the imagination but those numbers sound ok. What kind of pleco? Some of them get up to 18".

3. OP
    OP
    BillyFlaps

I’m more concerned about the number they’re comfortable schooling in. I’m not sure if having numbers less than what they’re used to schooling in could add to the stress of being in a new environment. The salesman wasn’t even sure what kind of pleco is it. From my research it appears to be a sailfin pleco. I guess I’ll get another tank for it as it gets larger.

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Hi @BillyFlaps. Your profile page says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. How long has the tank been running? If relatively new, and until you get the basics of the nitrogen cycle under your belt, I'd stick with what you have.
    Also, assuming you're new to this, your biggest enemy right now will be poor water quality, and the fastest ways to get there are insufficient water changes, and overfeeding. Especially overfeeding.
    Do you have any kind of water testing kit?

5. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi & welcome, rummy's should be in a group of 6+ depending on tank size & other occupants, they feel more secure in larger groups, corys, at least 3 but again more if you can fit them in. What type of plec have you got? If it's a common it will quickly outgrow your 36 (I've just seen you think it's a sailfin) they grow to 12 to 18 inches long & are too big for a 36, I'd take it back & see if they can swap it for something like a bulldog plec they stay much smaller.

6. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

It really is true that schooling fish fare better in larger schools...but you did the right thing. With a new tank, even though you cycled it properly, should have fish added slowly. Eventually add 3 more of the same species of cories and about 5 more of the same tetras. That will keep the fish calmer being in larger schools. The tetras will all school together giving plenty of movement in the upper midrange of the tank and a nice size school of cories are fun to watch as the move along together often seeming to cuddle each other at times...comical. Wait 2 weeks for the biofilter to adjust, doing normal partial water changes and keeping an eye on water perameters. Once you add the rest of the schoolers, you're already going to have plenty of fish. If you want after that to add just one feature fish, you can add a single male betta or a male Gourami. Just stay away from the dwarf gouramis. There are a lot of disease problems beginning with the dwarfs that have been coming from the Singapore breeders.

7. OP
    OP
    BillyFlaps

Hi @bitseriously i had the tank running for just under 2 weeks before putting the fish in yesterday. I have an API test kit for PH, Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. All levels seemed normal before introducing the fish yesterday afternoon. How long should I wait to test again? I’m assuming there is a big spike right now.

8. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Cories need a school of at least 5, but more is better. Although, I would not add anymore for a few weeks. Adding all those fish at the same time could wreak havoc on the bioload, particularly the pleco with their large bioloads. Make sure the cories are the same species as well, otherwise they’ll need seperate schools and in a 36 you really only have room for maybe 2 bottoms dweller schools.
    Just a heads up for the pleco, if it’s SF common then it’ll end up needing a 125g soon.

9. OP
    OP
    BillyFlaps

Thanks for all these quick and informative replies! I’m going to see if I can take back the pleco. Obviously both the salesman and I were pretty dumb for getting it. If they have bulldog plecs, maybe I’ll replace it with that. Or just forget the pleco and add to the Cory cats in a few weeks. They seem more fun anyway. The two I have already have cute personalities on them.

10. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

My advice would be to avoid keeping tetras in a tank with any type of common/sailfin pleco.

They create so much waste that everytime they defecate there will be an ammonia spike in the tank.

This causes the tetras health problems because they are very sensitive to the ammonia in their water going up and down all the time.

Betta fish and big Plecos seem to work fine together, as do Silver Dollars.

I think Cory cats are a much better alternative for you.

And if someone tells you that you need an algae eater in your tank, you can safely tell them that that algae is helping to remove the nitrates generated from the fish waste.

Some people build or install algae generators to their aquariums for that exact purpose. Nobody would do this if algae was bad.

We clean the algae out of our tanks so they look pretty and the filters don't clog up, but it's all over in nature and it's part of a healthy ecosystem.

Those tiny Moss balls you buy for $8 at the pet store are actually balls of algae.

11. finnipper59

I agree with your post. Everybody Poops, so critters that eat aglea eventually create as much algae as they eat...or more.

12. NavyChief20

I actually installed algae scrubbers in all my sumps. I get algae growing on my backgrounds and it just adds to the natural look. Plus its water chemistry control.

13. K

Keith83 Member Member

can you get u the actual readings for amonia, nitite and nitrate? When I started out I was happy my amonia level was .5 until i read that it only proved that I wasn't fully cycled and it was dangerous for my fish. Two weeks is pretty quick for a full cycle. Id test again right now

14. finnipper59

Keep the tetras and lose the pleco. You don't need it and the tetras would make a nice looking school eventually. Keep testing your water perameters and do water changes as needed. I thought your tank had been cycled for longer than w weeks.

15. NavyChief20

Not sure why you quoted my comment on this one

16. finnipper59

Meant for the post to go to Billy. Sorry it went to you, at least on same thread, just wrong poster...sorry.

17. NavyChief20

no prob bud, I got an alert while im outside smoking some pork for later

18. finnipper59

Cool...let me know when it's done! Yummy!

19. OP
    OP
    BillyFlaps

Unless I’m reading them wrong, these results from my master test kit look like 0 to trace amounts of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I just took them 10 minutes ago. The fish have been in the tank a little over 24 hours now.

Attached Files:

20. finnipper59

Your ammonia and nitrates look to be just above 0 which is just fine. Even though you color card doesn't have a reading between 0 and .5...I see that as about .25. Lets compare that tomorrow.