Proper lighting for 55 gal planted corner tank

• Thread starter Kemancha
  • Start date

Kemancha

I have a 55 gal corner tank that I bought second hand. It has a 28 inch long hood that currently holds two 20 watt fluorescent bulbs (24 inches long).

The tank's depth is about 20 inches.

I want to grow a lot of plants in the tank, but I know that with my current setup I do not have nearly enough light.

What is the most cost efficient way to get plenty of lighting for plant growth?

Can I replace the florescent bulbs with LEDs?

I know the general rule of thumb for fluorescent is 2-3 watts per gallon but I haven't quite figured out the rules for LEDs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

abovo

I have the same tank. I've had ok luck with a single fluorescent bulb in the hood and a 24" LED bar. My fluorescent recently burned out so I've been thinking about the Finnex 24/7. It looks like a really cool light that will help my live plants grow.

Kemancha

abovo said:
I have the same tank. I've had ok luck with a single fluorescent bulb in the hood and a 24" LED bar. My fluorescent recently burned out so I've been thinking about the Finnex 24/7. It looks like a really cool light that will help my live plants grow.

Which LED bar do you use?

I've been looking at this:

but I'm not sure if it's enough light..

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
On my corner tank, I have two fixtures - one Planted Plus and one Stingray. It's a pretty tall tank, so I'm still at lowish medium light with those. I'm a big fan of those, so that's what I recommend. You can use a glass lid or egg crate or something similar.

abovo

Kemancha said:
Which LED bar do you use?

I've been looking at this:

but I'm not sure if it's enough light..
I currently have a Marineland submersible 21" LED bar. It doesn't put out enough light for a planted tank however. Since my fluorescent stopped working I've only had the Marineland bar and my plants have suffered.

Marineland Hidden LED Strip Light, White and Blue, 21-Inch

I did just get a 24" Finnex 24/7 that was awesome but it's too short for the 54 gallon corner tank. I returned it in exchange for a 30" Finnex that will be showing up on Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 30 Inch

I'll post some pics to show the lighting from the individual setups. I am gone on trips a lot and have to make sure the tank is automated. The Finnex system is probably all I need, it'll probably be overkill with the Marineland light on at the same time.

abovo

Here are the pics of my 30" Finnex 24/7 on my 54 gallon tank. The 24" also would have worked but the price difference was minimal. The pics are just from my phone, the metering on the phone makes the lighting a little brighter than reality.

This is the noon setting

9AM

6AM

I'm curious to see how much of a difference proper lighting will make for my plants. The fluorescent failed a couple of weeks ago and I have been using the 21" Marineland by itself. Of course this has caused a loss of some plants. I'll take another pic in a week and see how things have grown.

Top Bottom