Proper Classification For River Song

humblefisher

Reaction score
Hi there, I adopted a baby make betta,( WHO I ADORE). his name is River song due to his color. But I was wondering what would be the proper classification for him when it comes to his color and most importantly tail type. In the pictures I have him in his betta container that I keep him in when cleaning his aquarium. He has a 5 gallon planted with heater and filter he stays in, but pictures where more accessible in the betta cube keeper thing lol.
ae28d6acf3035d6dbbbb7a9b0bca7130.jpg
c0f29c2785d62ce16a7096665eed5e65.jpg
654224cbbe0e85c9dd8c8bc370e7f3bb.jpg

Sen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seconding that he looks like a spade tail! Does he ever fan his tail out more when he's flaring, though? He's probably not a halfmoon plakat... maybe if we saw the rays more clearly we could know with more certainty.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why do you take him out while cleaning? I leave my guy in there for the cleaning. He gets a bit riled up for a few minutes but loves the fresh water. It is less stressful to leave them in, than to move them back and forth. In my opinion.

humblefisher

Reaction score
Peace of mind really. I have never trusted tap water so he chills in his little container for a day or so, then back to his tank when I feel confident.

I figured it out lolTapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File VID_20170421_222108.mp4

Might be a spade tail? He is beautiful!
He doesn't have a point to his tail though, but I'm just happy to hear his tail isn't growing in weird.

6099f0de90b502f6f096086dcd675878.jpg
7b3606d56691c58721ace921289d7223.jpg
0f8d17a56cd95a0b268a297d5949934c.jpg
d3d64e7778606e998d5e8eb5f5090405.jpg
24e8602db60293a7d4c5504c59df64c3.jpg
78ea0ee9f147d57a39941fe0496df004.jpg
. These are the best pictures River song would let me get of him this morning. I hope they help y'all help me lol.

Had to put my girl ivy, sadly yes she lives in the vase, but loses color in any other container, up for River to act out.
d9fb6c98d27fe375a36a2228bb175c55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

moonraingirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Peace of mind really. I have never trusted tap water so he chills in his little container for a day or so, then back to his tank when I feel confident.
Hello, River Song is a beautiful little betta. I love the shade of blue

Do you think it would be possible for you to purchase Prime water conditioner to dechlorinate your water, so that River wouldn't have to spend a day every week in that small container? I'm not a betta psychology expert but it seems quite stressful to me. If you buy prime you can add it into the fresh water and let it sit for a few minutes and then safely add it into River's tank. (it is not recommended to do 100% water change each time, it's enough to change 50% of water weekly).

Prime may seem a little bit more expensive but it is really the best thing out there because it neutralises not only chlorine, but also chloramine and ammonia. You only need a little tiny bit. If you buy a large bottle it may last for the whole life time of your betta

humblefisher

Reaction score
Hello, River Song is a beautiful little betta. I love the shade of blue

Do you think it would be possible for you to purchase Prime water conditioner to dechlorinate your water, so that River wouldn't have to spend a day every week in that small container? I'm not a betta psychology expert but it seems quite stressful to me. If you buy prime you can add it into the fresh water and let it sit for a few minutes and then safely add it into River's tank. (it is not recommended to do 100% water change each time, it's enough to change 50% of water weekly).

Prime may seem a little bit more expensive but it is really the best thing out there because it neutralises not only chlorine, but also chloramine and ammonia. You only need a little tiny bit. If you buy a large bottle it may last for the whole life time of your betta
Thank you ,I love his blue.
Primer doesn't sound like an issue at all. If it makes him happy it makes him happy. By any chance would you have an idea on tail type ?

moonraingirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you ,I love his blue.
Primer doesn't sound like an issue at all. If it makes him happy it makes him happy. By any chance would you have an idea on tail type ?
I'm not sure if we understand each other. What I wanted to say was that if you use Prime you won't have to take him out of his large tank. Taking River out of his tank during each water change is causing him stress.

I think he's spade tail but I'm not an expert.

humblefisher

Reaction score
Yes ma'am, I understood. That's why I said if it makes him happy it makes him happy. If I don't have to take him out, less stress, and a happier fish is definitely a reason to buy some.

humblefisher

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we understand each other. What I wanted to say was that if you use Prime you won't have to take him out of his large tank. Taking River out of his tank during each water change is causing him stress.

I think he's spade tail but I'm not an expert.
On being a spade tail, would he not have a point, or is it because his tail hasn't come in yet. He was bought as a baby. His mom was a spade tail dad was a butterfly

moonraingirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, OK

I'm not too sure about his tail type. I'm not an expert in this area. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will answer your questions.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He looks more like a royal blue round tail to me, spades are pointed and have a large base.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom