Proper Classification For River Song

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by humblefisher, Apr 22, 2017.

1. humblefisherNew MemberMember

Hi there, I adopted a baby make betta,( WHO I ADORE). his name is River song due to his color. But I was wondering what would be the proper classification for him when it comes to his color and most importantly tail type. In the pictures I have him in his betta container that I keep him in when cleaning his aquarium. He has a 5 gallon planted with heater and filter he stays in, but pictures where more accessible in the betta cube keeper thing lol. ae28d6acf3035d6dbbbb7a9b0bca7130.jpgc0f29c2785d62ce16a7096665eed5e65.jpg654224cbbe0e85c9dd8c8bc370e7f3bb.jpg

2. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Might be a spade tail? He is beautiful!

3. SenValued MemberMember

Seconding that he looks like a spade tail! Does he ever fan his tail out more when he's flaring, though? He's probably not a halfmoon plakat... maybe if we saw the rays more clearly we could know with more certainty.

4. humblefisherNew MemberMember

I tried to upload video but it wouldn't let me

5. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Why do you take him out while cleaning? I leave my guy in there for the cleaning. He gets a bit riled up for a few minutes but loves the fresh water. It is less stressful to leave them in, than to move them back and forth. In my opinion.

6. humblefisherNew MemberMember

Peace of mind really. I have never trusted tap water so he chills in his little container for a day or so, then back to his tank when I feel confident.

I figured it out lol 

He doesn't have a point to his tail though, but I'm just happy to hear his tail isn't growing in weird.

6099f0de90b502f6f096086dcd675878.jpg7b3606d56691c58721ace921289d7223.jpg0f8d17a56cd95a0b268a297d5949934c.jpgd3d64e7778606e998d5e8eb5f5090405.jpg24e8602db60293a7d4c5504c59df64c3.jpg78ea0ee9f147d57a39941fe0496df004.jpg . These are the best pictures River song would let me get of him this morning. I hope they help y'all help me lol.

Had to put my girl ivy, sadly yes she lives in the vase, but loses color in any other container, up for River to act out. d9fb6c98d27fe375a36a2228bb175c55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  7. moonraingirlValued MemberMember

Hello, River Song is a beautiful little betta. I love the shade of blue :)

Do you think it would be possible for you to purchase Prime water conditioner to dechlorinate your water, so that River wouldn't have to spend a day every week in that small container? I'm not a betta psychology expert but it seems quite stressful to me. If you buy prime you can add it into the fresh water and let it sit for a few minutes and then safely add it into River's tank. (it is not recommended to do 100% water change each time, it's enough to change 50% of water weekly).

Prime may seem a little bit more expensive but it is really the best thing out there because it neutralises not only chlorine, but also chloramine and ammonia. You only need a little tiny bit. If you buy a large bottle it may last for the whole life time of your betta :)

8. humblefisherNew MemberMember

Thank you ,I love his blue.
    Primer doesn't sound like an issue at all. If it makes him happy it makes him happy. By any chance would you have an idea on tail type ?

9. moonraingirlValued MemberMember

I'm not sure if we understand each other. What I wanted to say was that if you use Prime you won't have to take him out of his large tank. Taking River out of his tank during each water change is causing him stress.

I think he's spade tail but I'm not an expert.

10. humblefisherNew MemberMember

Yes ma'am, I understood. That's why I said if it makes him happy it makes him happy. If I don't have to take him out, less stress, and a happier fish is definitely a reason to buy some.

11. humblefisherNew MemberMember

On being a spade tail, would he not have a point, or is it because his tail hasn't come in yet. He was bought as a baby. His mom was a spade tail dad was a butterfly

12. moonraingirlValued MemberMember

Oh, OK :)

I'm not too sure about his tail type. I'm not an expert in this area. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will answer your questions.

13. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

He looks more like a royal blue round tail to me, spades are pointed and have a large base.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice