Proper Air Stone Size?

Carnelian5279
Hi! I recently got a ten gallon tank, got everything set up, and gave it a few weeks for the nitrogen cycle to complete. I just got a couple of fish (A small school of ember tetras, a few corydoras, and a Giant male betta) a few days ago, and I noticed that some of them seemed to be gasping and going up towards the top fairly frequently, so I bought an air pump for them. I just got it installed, and it seems to be working quite well, but I’m a bit concerned that the air stone I purchased was a bit too large for my tank. I was wondering what size air stone is generally recommended for a ten gallon aquarium.

BabsandLoon
Welcome to FishLore!

Do you have a test kit? If the fish are gasping it could be due to ammonia. That's a lot of fish to add at once. I'm wondering if maybe you have an ammonia spike.

Carnelian5279
I tested it earlier today and the ammonia level was a bit higher, but not by much. I do have something to add to the water to reduce ammonia if it rises any more, but from what i understand it isn’t high enough to affect them like that.

StarGirl
I would do a water change not add stuff for ammonia. The ammo lock or whatever it is will kill the bacteria you have been forming. Tanks generally don't cycle in a few weeks.

Carnelian5279
Yes, I’m planning on doing a water change i’ve the weekend. And ok I’ll won’t add it in.
over*

wateriswet
Any measurable ammonia can hurt your fish. Here's more info Here's How to Quickly Treat Ammonia Poisoning in Aquarium Fish

Could you do a partial water change sooner? And really reduce the amount you're feeding for several days until the bacteria colony can get caught up with the bigger bio load?

Top Bottom