Propagating water wisteria

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've often posted about the ease of growing and propagating water wisteria. I've only been keeping fish and aquatic plants for less then a year, but for me it's been one of the easiest. It's planted in about 20% of my 40 gallon breeder, and is doing very well. I trI'm it about once every week to 10 days, as it reaches the top of the water.

If I plant the cuttings in the same tank they immediately start growing, and will need trimming themselves in just a few weeks. When moved to a different tank, even with the same source water, they need some time to acclimate before any noticeable growth, but so far I've never had one die.

Below is a picture of what I found floating in the tank a little while ago. Somehow a single leaf became detached, and it has started growing roots from the base, and if you look closely you can even see a tiny leaf starting to form.

0329201425_HDR.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
It is amazing how quickly a single floating leaf grows a whole new plant within just a few days. I discovered that shortly after receiving mine from kallililly1973 Now anytime a leaf breaks off I just leave it floating. They don't all grow a new plant but several of mine have.

I have also experienced the slower growth when moved to a different tank even though both tanks should be the same.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The water parameter may be the same but with a different stock and bioload that could be the reason for the slower growth cause we know that the plants will also use fish waste as a source of nutrients ( not sure how so don't ask :) but they do in one way or another.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve thought that my pieces have been “dying” when in fact, they were just getting used to the new parameters. They started to grow new leaves a couple weeks ago, and I cut them and replanted them a couple days ago. The new cuttings have already rooted. Growth is not fast yet, but I think my pieces just needed some time to adjust.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I can't grow water wisteria.... or algae, or duckweed. Anubias and Amazon Sword struggle. I went so far as to put a plant in a glass bottle in a south window and it took six months for a lovely shade of algae to grow..... no roots from the plant though.

New Threads