Propagating stem plants

saqib

Hi Guys,
Got a quick question.
First pic, Limnophila sessiliflora , would it be ok if i cut the stem to replant it in the gravel?

20210612_142820.jpg

Second pic, Ludwigia repens, same question. Ok to cut from the stem to replant elsewhere in the tank?

20210612_142810.jpg

Here's the picture of the whole tank (only been running for 4 weeks). I'd really like to spread the plants in a wider area, only if the stems can be replanted though.

20210612_140712.jpg

grac3

yes, they're stem plants so just a trim and replant the stems.

Upvote 0

Netti

So for stem plants you have to keep a few things in mind.

Yes you can cut a stem plant anywhere and replant it. I had success planting a 2cm piece and having it grow again. To do this properly, trim the leaves from the area that will go into the substrate. Plant firmly, having root tabs around that location is beneficial but not necessary.

Don't stress if you see some melting, it can happen, it should pick back up.

Now the behavior of the stem plant is that when you cut it, it will most likely grow another two new stems at that location. That means that if you do that to your entire plant, it will kind of start growing like an umbrella. I did that with my micranthemum *something something* and while I had maybe 8 initial stems, it ended up looking like a bush. And that didn't help because the plant is fragile and everything it broke in places, two more stems grew. A lot of stem plants will also grow roots along the entire stem to get nutrients from the water column, especially if you don't use root tabs. Which is fine. Just don't cut them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WetRootsNH
Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
Replies
Views
CaptAndrews
Replies