Propagating Crypts

trinity28

Reaction score
I have a Crypt Lucens plant that I got a few weeks ago that has decided to propogate. Yay! I’ve never had a plan propagate like this - how do I separate each new plant? Just gently pull them apart? Or is it okay to cut the little stems connecting them?

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That does not look like Crypt lucens, more like an Echinodorus of some kind sending off runners. Cryptocorynes have new plants bud off from their rhizome structure under the substrate. In my experience, these take a long time to grow and require uprooting and trimming in order to propagate effectively. In one of my old tanks, I had a dense backdrop of Cryptocoryne spiralis. A few times, I'd have to uproot it all, trim roots, and take the newly propagated shoots and replant them. Crypts send out growth on a long, singly runner under the substrate, sometimes several feet from the mother plant.

With the runners in your tank you could trim off each individual one and plant it if you like, but based on the leaf structure it doesn't appear to be a crypt.

OP
trinity28

trinity28

Reaction score
Fahn said:
That does not look like Crypt lucens, more like an Echinodorus of some kind sending off runners. Cryptocorynes have new plants bud off from their rhizome structure under the substrate. In my experience, these take a long time to grow and require uprooting and trimming in order to propagate effectively. In one of my old tanks, I had a dense backdrop of Cryptocoryne spiralis. A few times, I'd have to uproot it all, trim roots, and take the newly propagated shoots and replant them. Crypts send out growth on a long, singly runner under the substrate, sometimes several feet from the mother plant.

With the runners in your tank you could trim off each individual one and plant it if you like, but based on the leaf structure it doesn't appear to be a crypt.
Really? Hmm. I bought it as crypt lucens :confused:

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I grow a lot of crypts, it does look similar to crypt lucens to me, but there are some echidnodorus that look close to identical. I've never seen a crypt produce runners above the substrate though which leads me to believe its probably an echidnodorus quadricostatus because I know they produce floating runners- in which case the baby plants can be pinched off and put in the substrate.

New Threads