Propagate Aponogetons?

1. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I have an Aponogeton in my 36g that came out of a pack of bulbs. I actually didn't even know it sprouted till I saw it try to peek out from under the driftwood. I moved it to the front of the tank and in a matter of 2 weeks, it went from about 4 inches to 20+ inches.

I really like it and would like to have more of them. I am going to trim the leaves soon, but I didn't know if there was a way to propagate it?

[​IMG]

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

They usually propagate by seeds but sometimes by the rhizome splitting.

3. Fall River Member Member

IME Apons will send up a shoot which will develop a small bulb followed by leaves. I wait til the new bulb puts out roots then cut it off the stem and plant it. Finish by cutting off the shoot close to the base of the original plant.
    Apons will continue to send up shoot after shoot, some produce new bulbs, some produce flowers. If left to go to seed you can propagate that way as well.
    Hope you find this useful, Dillon

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys!

Do you think I should trim some of the leaves down? I'm also gonna put it in my 55g with dirt so it might send up a bulb.

5. Fall River Member Member

I prune mine when the leaves reach the surface and begin blocking the light to the bottom of the tank. Usually once a week.
    I'm sure you'll see new bulbs in no time. :)