Proof that overdosing Prime works?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kizzet, Jun 17, 2016.

  1. kizzetNew MemberMember

    Sometimes when I test my water paramaters I don't dump the vials right away and their color will either not change or may darken slightly as they sit. Today however my nitrite and ammonia each tested 0.25 so I went about doing a pwc leaving the vials. I forgot about them and left them sitting a couple hours then glanced at them and my ammonia and nitrite had gone to zero while nitrate(10) remained unchanged.

    Is this proof that overdosing Prime really does detox ammonia and nitrite? I have been doing two 50% pwc a day and 5dpg Prime because nitrite was consistently going to 1 every 10hrs or so. I would always test before right after a water change then 10hrs later so Prime had never been in the water for 24hrs before I would freak out and do another water change because of the high nitrite. Last night however I ran out of stress zyme and decided to be strict and not test or change the water for 24hrs.

    I figured since I had only done one pwc in the morning I should add extra Prime for the half of the water I did not remove. I added 25 drops directly to the filter output to protect my fish just in case and they seemed to perk up instantly. This morning they were swimming around happy as can be and begging to be fed which I did as I was collecting water to test. This is the first time the test tubes have gone to zero after being left so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what, if anything it means? I usually won't note any changes to the regents after 5 minutes but this was different.
  2. codyrex97

    codyrex97Well Known MemberMember

    Hmmm all I can say is either my fish are battle tanks or overdosing prime does work, because my fish an shrimp have managed to survive the 5ppm nitrite spikes each day (tank still cycling) with me doing 2 50% water changes a day with prime in there I'd say it probably ends up with like 2-3 the normal dose but no idea on specific.

    It does its job though, which is keeping my stuff alive.
  3. xxbyamomentx

    xxbyamomentxValued MemberMember

    Sometimes my ammonia color will go from the 0ppm yellow to some weird orange tint if I leave it in overnight, where my nitrites seems to stay blue even if I forget to dump it out until the next day. (I'm paranoid, so I generally do a water check each morning - my tank has only been cycled about a month so I get nervous)

    A good way to recreate the experiment a little different would be to take a small clean cup or even a shot glass and add some aquarium water to it at the same time you do your water test, then come back later and check the water in the little cup. That way you'd know for sure it was fresh and not just chemicals changing colors :) The way Seachem's website made it sound, you'd still have ammonia readings, they'd just be less harmful...but I've never tried it myself to see.
  4. s hawkWell Known MemberMember

    I overdose prime every time. However I don't test my water 24 hours after dosage. I sometimes get the 0.25 or less reading. I just consider that a trace amount. It eventually went away

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice