Pronounce Pleco

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So plehco sounds the same as plecko... and gecko?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firefly's Love said:
I say pleh-ko. I'm from New Hampshire and the woman I learned it from also said it this way.

I can't find anything on the etymology of the word, other than that 'stomus' is from the Greek word for mouth. But if we're going with modern Latin pronunciation, I'd say the short "eh" sound is correct. But as long as you can communicate what you're saying, it isn't that big of a deal. (Although the people who say 'bet-ah' for betta do drive me a little batty)
Plecostomus means "folded mouth". I agree that it doesn't really matter so long as you are communicating your point.

However, I don't understand the Betta comment. Bet-ah/beht-ah, is the correct pronunciation, that's how ihcthyologists and IBC breeders pronounce it. I hope you don't say Bay-tah, which is a greek letter and is spelled beta. I rarely bother to correct this one, as it is a losing battle. But if I think the person deserves to be annoyed, I might do it anyway.

waterlilykari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
I rarely bother to correct this one, as it is a losing battle. But if I think the person deserves to be annoyed, I might do it anyway.
Six of one, half dozen of the other in my opinion. It also depends on the situation.

Mainly, if it's someone I see all the time and I know it will drive me nuts perpetually if I let it go so long with saying nothing that they make it a habit to ALWAYS say it ridiculously wrong then result in bickering perpetually when I finally do try to point it out after its too ingrained for them to change, in those cases I usually will gently tell them early on so they can learn the right way to say it from the start (or at least closer to right if it's not reasonable to expect exactly perfect pronunciation such as a small toddler)

For example: the random stranger in a store that I'm probably never going to see again says something oddly? Not a big deal, and I probably won't even bother to correct them unless, like chromedome52 said, they really do deserve a little annoyance. (and yes, some people are just asking for it, haha )

On the other hand, my then 7 year old son could name what types of fish we had bought by the time we finished the hour drive home from that particular pet store after our current tank finished cycling almost a year ago and that included "pleco" for the short name and "Sail-fin Plecostomus for the full name, what the names were of the 3 different varieties of our goldfish including alternate names they were sometimes referred to as, and even several more we hadn't bought when we saw them there but were considering adding later on)

As cute as a kid might be referring to one as "the googley eye one with speckly colors on him" and the other as "the googley eyed one with no speckles on him" to differentiate between a calico moor vs. a black moor, by the time that 7 year old is 17, or especially by the time they reach 27 and they are still referring to fish as "the googley eyed one" for either of the moors or "the one with the sucker mouth" meaning the pleco out of force of habit after so many years, then it's going to make me go nuts to hear

New Threads