Pronounce Pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by leftswerve, Jul 10, 2015.

1. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Plecostomus
    I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam (I did search a little) but how do you pronounce "Pleco".
    Years ago I had never met any body that said it any other way than sounding like plehko (like the "e" sounds in get).
    About 2 years ago my step daughter gets a "play ko" and now that is what I am hearing.
    I'm not going to debate how to say it, I am going to continue to say plehko because playco sounds a little pretentious, and not sure where pleeco comes from (maybe a latin teacher).
    Is it an age thing, Texas thing, or I had never heard it pronounced scientifically before?
    Thanks

2. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnneValued MemberMember

LOL, I fret about stuff like this too! And my experience is exactly as you as describe above - and I'm from Texas… so there's a point for that :D

3. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Pl-eh-co.

I heard a guy say "Chillid" the other day, as in "Cichlid. I laughed.

4. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

My friend says "Tertra" for tetra :D

:)

5. Firefly's Love

Firefly's LoveValued MemberMember

I say pleh-ko. I'm from New Hampshire and the woman I learned it from also said it this way.

I can't find anything on the etymology of the word, other than that 'stomus' is from the Greek word for mouth. But if we're going with modern Latin pronunciation, I'd say the short "eh" sound is correct. But as long as you can communicate what you're saying, it isn't that big of a deal. (Although the people who say 'bet-ah' for betta do drive me a little batty)

6. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

I've always pronounced it Pleh-koh too, but I've heard Plecostomus pronounced differently. I pronounce it Pleh-koh-stoh-mus, but I've heard people pronounce it Pleh-kah-stah-mus. It sounds smoother the second way (when you say it fast, but the pleh sometimes sounds like pluh), but the first way seems more logical with how it's spelled and how we say the short version :p

7. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I used to call them Chicklids. lol

I have heard Plee-Co, Play-Co, and Pleh-Co. I guess I have always assumed it was the later because it would be pronounced the same as it would be in its full name Plecost*mus. Its not a Playcostomus.. lol

8. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Plecko.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, plecko/pleh-co.

10. hampalong

Actually it's "Plec", but Americans like complicating things...

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Lol, pleco sounds better though.

12. hampalong

Plec sounds better. Pleco sounds bettero. :)

13. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I say it "pleh-co", and I do like additional "o", gives it a nice sound lol! Just "plec" sounds like "blech" to me...... lol, such an interesting mind I have.......

14. hampalong

how are you saying "pleh-co" anyway, is it like Plato?

15. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Pluh- eh (same "e" as in egg)- co is how I say it! ;)

16. OP
    OP
    leftswerve

I am North american USA, so I add the O. but to clarify.
    the "E" I am talking about is pronounced like a short e in latin, or the E in egg, or like let go of my pleggo (get it? the waffle)
    later

17. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

hmm.. I been trying to think of how to best to describe the way I say it and the best I can come up with is... Plecko like gecko (not be confused with geico) or a Pl with an echo after it Pl-echo.

18. OP
    OP
    leftswerve

That's it plecho

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I say plehco, most people around here say playco though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. hampalong

But how do you say plehco, what does the h do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice