Pronounce Pleco

leftswerve

Well Known
Plecostomus
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam (I did search a little) but how do you pronounce "Pleco".
Years ago I had never met any body that said it any other way than sounding like plehko (like the "e" sounds in get).
About 2 years ago my step daughter gets a "play ko" and now that is what I am hearing.
I'm not going to debate how to say it, I am going to continue to say plehko because playco sounds a little pretentious, and not sure where pleeco comes from (maybe a latin teacher).
Is it an age thing, Texas thing, or I had never heard it pronounced scientifically before?
Thanks

TracyLeeAnne

LOL, I fret about stuff like this too! And my experience is exactly as you as describe above - and I'm from Texas… so there's a point for that

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Pl-eh-co.

I heard a guy say "Chillid" the other day, as in "Cichlid. I laughed.

thefishdude277

Well Known
My friend says "Tertra" for tetra

Firefly's Love

I say pleh-ko. I'm from New Hampshire and the woman I learned it from also said it this way.

I can't find anything on the etymology of the word, other than that 'stomus' is from the Greek word for mouth. But if we're going with modern Latin pronunciation, I'd say the short "eh" sound is correct. But as long as you can communicate what you're saying, it isn't that big of a deal. (Although the people who say 'bet-ah' for betta do drive me a little batty)

bettamars

I've always pronounced it Pleh-koh too, but I've heard Plecostomus pronounced differently. I pronounce it Pleh-koh-stoh-mus, but I've heard people pronounce it Pleh-kah-stah-mus. It sounds smoother the second way (when you say it fast, but the pleh sometimes sounds like pluh), but the first way seems more logical with how it's spelled and how we say the short version

alink

Well Known
Danjamesdixon said:
Pl-eh-co.

I heard a guy say "Chillid" the other day, as in "Cichlid. I laughed.
I used to call them Chicklids. lol

I have heard Plee-Co, Play-Co, and Pleh-Co. I guess I have always assumed it was the later because it would be pronounced the same as it would be in its full name Plecost*mus. Its not a Playcostomus.. lol

hampalong

Well Known
Plecko.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Yeah, plecko/pleh-co.

hampalong

Well Known
Actually it's "Plec", but Americans like complicating things...

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
hampalong said:
Actually it's "Plec", but Americans like complicating things...
Lol, pleco sounds better though.

hampalong

Well Known
Anders247 said:
Lol, pleco sounds better though.
Plec sounds better. Pleco sounds bettero.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
I say it "pleh-co", and I do like additional "o", gives it a nice sound lol! Just "plec" sounds like "blech" to me...... lol, such an interesting mind I have.......

hampalong

Well Known
how are you saying "pleh-co" anyway, is it like Plato?

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Pluh- eh (same "e" as in egg)- co is how I say it!

leftswerve

Well Known
I am North american USA, so I add the O. but to clarify.
the "E" I am talking about is pronounced like a short e in latin, or the E in egg, or like let go of my pleggo (get it? the waffle)
later

alink

Well Known
hmm.. I been trying to think of how to best to describe the way I say it and the best I can come up with is... Plecko like gecko (not be confused with geico) or a Pl with an echo after it Pl-echo.

leftswerve

Well Known
That's it plecho

Bijou88

Well Known
I say plehco, most people around here say playco though.

hampalong

Well Known
But how do you say plehco, what does the h do?

Bijou88

Well Known
E, as in egg. Better?

hampalong

Well Known
So plehco sounds the same as plecko... and gecko?

Bijou88

Well Known
Yep.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Firefly's Love said:
I say pleh-ko. I'm from New Hampshire and the woman I learned it from also said it this way.

I can't find anything on the etymology of the word, other than that 'stomus' is from the Greek word for mouth. But if we're going with modern Latin pronunciation, I'd say the short "eh" sound is correct. But as long as you can communicate what you're saying, it isn't that big of a deal. (Although the people who say 'bet-ah' for betta do drive me a little batty)
Plecostomus means "folded mouth". I agree that it doesn't really matter so long as you are communicating your point.

However, I don't understand the Betta comment. Bet-ah/beht-ah, is the correct pronunciation, that's how ihcthyologists and IBC breeders pronounce it. I hope you don't say Bay-tah, which is a greek letter and is spelled beta. I rarely bother to correct this one, as it is a losing battle. But if I think the person deserves to be annoyed, I might do it anyway.

waterlilykari

Well Known
chromedome52 said:
I rarely bother to correct this one, as it is a losing battle. But if I think the person deserves to be annoyed, I might do it anyway.
Six of one, half dozen of the other in my opinion. It also depends on the situation.

Mainly, if it's someone I see all the time and I know it will drive me nuts perpetually if I let it go so long with saying nothing that they make it a habit to ALWAYS say it ridiculously wrong then result in bickering perpetually when I finally do try to point it out after its too ingrained for them to change, in those cases I usually will gently tell them early on so they can learn the right way to say it from the start (or at least closer to right if it's not reasonable to expect exactly perfect pronunciation such as a small toddler)

For example: the random stranger in a store that I'm probably never going to see again says something oddly? Not a big deal, and I probably won't even bother to correct them unless, like chromedome52 said, they really do deserve a little annoyance. (and yes, some people are just asking for it, haha )

On the other hand, my then 7 year old son could name what types of fish we had bought by the time we finished the hour drive home from that particular pet store after our current tank finished cycling almost a year ago and that included "pleco" for the short name and "Sail-fin Plecostomus for the full name, what the names were of the 3 different varieties of our goldfish including alternate names they were sometimes referred to as, and even several more we hadn't bought when we saw them there but were considering adding later on)

As cute as a kid might be referring to one as "the googley eye one with speckly colors on him" and the other as "the googley eyed one with no speckles on him" to differentiate between a calico moor vs. a black moor, by the time that 7 year old is 17, or especially by the time they reach 27 and they are still referring to fish as "the googley eyed one" for either of the moors or "the one with the sucker mouth" meaning the pleco out of force of habit after so many years, then it's going to make me go nuts to hear

Top Bottom