promote algae growth

Trpimp147
what is the best way to get more algae growing in a tank for the plecos to eat????

sirdarksol
Light. Keep your light on for 8 hours straight, at least.

Trpimp147
I see I have nice sized peice of drift wood in my tank I am going to add more once I get it cleaned up!!

0morrokh
I'd leave your light on for 12 hours a day if you can't get algae to grow. The more plants in the tank, the less easy it will be for the algae to grow so it will need even more light. Just be careful you don't let the algae get too runaway...remember that you can get algae that the pleco won't eat. What you don't want is water that looks like pea soup...trust me. It's better to have to little algae, and then you can feed the pleco veggies and algae wafers.

sirdarksol
The Plecos at the pet store were going nuts over a slice of cucumber clipped to the side of the tank.

Trpimp147
I have a few small plants in the tank I plan on upgrading my light is also in some sun light, so I think that helps some. I have two 5-6 inch plecos in my tank and a few algae eating cichlids... so I'm fine with it looking a little bit like algae its just to much money to keep buying waffers and stuff. I used all my cucummber up on them all ready and it was a nice sized.

armadillo
Sounds like we have the same problem. Check this for some people's proposed solutions:

Trpimp147
yea it stinks the bad part is its a new tank that mostly why I also am trying to my best I had the light on for like 18 hours :-[ b/c I didnt get home on time so it was on allllll night. but I was hoping the algae would grow.

armadillo
How about what was advised to me? I love that idea. I've just started. Basically, grow algae on ornaments outside.

Trpimp147
yea I thought about it I have a extra 10gal tank... I might set it up out side kinda put a lid on it and have the filter flowing and get it to grow on some of my rocks but the problem is trying to get it to spread in my 75 gal, I have 2 plecos that are big.... so yea ill see I'm going to wait a few months I'm ganna try and put more food in the tanks other then waffers my plecos love them now!!!!

armadillo
Oh yeah. I see what you mean. I just need to seed a 7G tank for 2 otos and their fry! We're in a difficult ballpark altogether. Good luck with your mass algae production!

Trpimp147
haha tanks the I left the light on again for over 15 hours haha I need to buy a timer for it to turn it off after 10 hours, my plecos are angry b/c the light is on they come out at night mostly. good luck to you also I kno they sell like free dryed stips of algae I'm going to buy some of that for my fish and plecos to eat!!!

Trpimp147
how much should I feed my plecos?? I feed them algae waffers I try and feed them 1-2 a night and I also give them cucummber a few times a week too and that usly when I don't give them both a waffer each.

Butterfly
Fresh veggies can take the place of algae. zucchinnI and cucumber are great choices although my plecs eat melon and yellow squash also.
Carol

Trpimp147
ok thanks ill have to try other stuff my mom just got bunch veggies

Similar Aquarium Threads

• nikm128
  • Algae
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
ruud