Project Discus Tank

1. 125Goal Initiate Member

Hello Folks,

I'm still thinking of "Project Discus Tank", but I have a few questions and concerns that is holding me back...

I do know about the cycling, beneficial bacteria, water changes, water parameters, etc, filters, tropical fish community.... but I have zero experiences in Discus keeping.

Questions:

1. I'm thinking of getting a 125 Gallon tank for Discus school., Is 125 Gallon okay? I've heard that they require a big tank and I do not want to get a 55 Gallon tank (i think its to small).

2. Can I make it a planted tank or just driftwood?

3. How many Discus can fit in a 125 Gallon standard tank comfortably? I do not want to jam pack the aquarium just to have many fish...I want the fish to have space to swim...

4. I know that they require a mature tank....so after the cycling process is completed...how long should i wait to add my Discus fish? 6 months, 12months?

5. Can I keep Kuhli loaches (12 of them) with Discus? I am thinking of transferring the Kuhlis from my 56 gallon to the 125 Gallon only if they can co-habitate with Discus along with my cardinals? If not, I will probably give the 56 Gallon tank and all its residents to my sister or brother. I do want to two tanks at my place.

thank you.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I have no experience keeping discus personally, but we have a few members who have. I'm sure they'll be along shortly and can answer your questions:)

3. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore:;hi2
    1. 125 gl would work well, but a 55 gl would work too. i am actually in the process of a Project myself using a 55 gl. 55 gl can support 6 full size Discus.
    2. Many, many people have planted tanks for Discus, thing to remember is Discus require Prestine water conditions all the time. a planted tank is not necessarily recommended for first time Discus keepers.
    3. i would say 12-13 Discus easily in a 125 gl. the rule seems to be at least 10 gl per fish for Discus.
    4. Mature tanks are recommended, many obtain this by using an established filetering system already set up from another tank. but i have heard at least 6 months for a brand new system.
    5. i cant speak on the Kuhli's for sure.
    good luck, and again, welcome to Fishlore.

4. Slug Well Known Member Member

I would agree with Tom on all points. 12-13 discus would be your max, for a less full looking setup, use less discus. I don't like 55s due to their width, but yes they can work. You can make it planted, but as said above...its hard to keep a planted tank clean enough to grown juvenile discus. If you get larger fish to start, a planted tank or bare tank won't really matter. The Kuhli Loaches should be fine.