Programmable LED fixture

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hi fishlore people,

I'm looking for a new light for my 30 gallon freshwater tank. I don't need to be able to "set a mood" with it nor "simulate a storm" and whatnot... What I want is something to promote plant growth, diffuse relatively pretty light (a little bit of red goes a long way and is often missing), and be good to my fish (sunrise/sunset!).

So to sum up:
    • Promote plant growth (white 6500K?)
    • Deter algae (not too much blue)
    • Be pretty (some red light is appreciated)
    • Be programmable with sunrise and sunset
    What else should I want in a freshwater light fixture?

I feel like these are basic-ish features. But all the light that fit the bill seem to also have tons of extra unnecessary features and cost half a leg. Could you recommend a good light for me?

Thank you!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    F

That seems quite perfect. Just one question: can you disable the moonlight effect ? I mean I'd love it but between midnight and 6am, I'd love a dark dark room. Is that doable with this fixture?

4. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

I don't think so. I do know that the Marineland with the built in timer, you can set both colors to turn on and off at specific times, but no transition feature.

5. OP
    OP
    F

If anyone has the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7, I'd love some more info. Specifically: so that it fits my tank, should I go with the bigger size or with the smaller size? I don't understand how they are adjustable, it doesn't seem to be the usual telescopic arms.

6. OP
    OP
    F

For anyone stumbling here, a lot of great info about the Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 can be found on another forum and on amazon.

7. TexasDomer

You can use a timer to turn the light off at midnight and back on at 6am. I think it'll reset your light schedule every time, so it should work. Hopefully someone with a 24/7 can help!

And what's the length of your tank? The feet can extend for it to fit your tank. They make a 30" and a 36" fixture.

8. OP
    OP
    F

My tank is a little less than 31" so I ordered a 30" fixture.

I also emailed Finnex about using the light on 220V (european voltage) and they said it should work but wouldn't be covered by the warranty. So fingers crossed I don't have any problem (many people seem to have had a bad experience with the longevity of this product).

9. JKCichlids

JKCichlids Valued Member Member

$

10. TexasDomer

The 30" fixture should work fine!

11. Grimund

I agree with Domer.

I'm actuality not sure what a reset will do, or if it begins in 24/7 mode, what time of day it will be set for. I'm planning on getting one myself in the future

12. OP
    OP
    F

From reading multiple reviews and threads about that light, it seems that it does restart the 24/7 mode at 6am. So just start your timer at 6am and you're good to go.

A grain of salt though: they appear to be selling different versions of the product over time (standard product improvement I imagine), so things that aren't officially stated on their website might be subject to change at some point.

13. Grimund

I don't plan on putting mine on a timer. I'll let the 24/7 run it's course or screw with the settings, lol.

Other lights just don't offer the features, are too bright for my application, or are two to three times the price and or all of the previous

14. OP
    OP
    F

If you want to screw with the settings, you're gonna have to flash whatever chip is on there, because there's no way to change the 24/7 cycle in any way.

15. Grimund

There's the mood settings and all that too. I'm not into reflashing or tethering a controller board onto equipment like that. Just there's the 24/7 mode plus other features to mess with