Profiles?

1. Thunder Member Member

:;hi2 Hi, I am trying to find profiles of fishes from the 3 lakes. I think they're from Africa or somewhere. Malawi and Mbuna? I can't remember their exact names. I was told they're Cichlids, correct? I can't find them in the forum. No profile listing on them. Guide me, please.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi I moved your thread to the cichlid section of the forum.
    Sorry, I don't know the different lakes or which cichlid comes from which lake.
    Until someone can specifically answer you question,
    Here's starting point. There are sections of the forum for different species. It should help you with your research.
    Cichlids

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

4. Thunder Member Member

Yes, I did look there. I do not see a Peacock Cichlids listed. I was told they can be with the Tiger Barbs. Having a hard time to look up which of these cichlids can be with my large school of different Barbs. Peacock is the best bet is what I was told.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I was going to give you the link to cichlid forum.com but it looks like their site is down.
    It's always been a great resource for cichlid info.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the tiger barbs and peacocks require two different types of water ....barbs like more acidic and peacocks like it much higher on the alkaline side ...although both could survive in eachothers waters, not sure they would thrive in it...

7. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm with Shawnie on this. Tiger Barbs & rift lake cichlids need very different water. They might survive the differences in the water but they probably won't survive the cichlids. Even peacocks can get nasty. Keep rift lake cichlids with rift lake fish & keep the tiger barbs with acidic water fish that can deal with the fin nipping.

Mbuna species as well as the various species of peacocks are from lake malawi. Here's a link to a site that will help you work out what fish is from what lake if you decide to have a rift lake tank in the future: http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.com/db/eng/131/2/139/0/list.htm
    Look on the left side of the page for cichlids & click there then click on the lake that you want to see fish from. This is only an ID page & doesn't give care infomation about the fish.