Profile Picture Idea?

JLAquatics

You know how on many social media sites you can have a personalized background pic when your profile is clicked on? I'm wondering if the same thing could be done here on Fishlore. We already have forum avatars and we could do the same thing with this idea. We could also do a bar with a picture towards the top of the profile page with our info. The color of the text and style could match the new forum styles that Mike came up with earlier in the year, and an automatic gradient is applied to the background image to prevent it from overpowering the text. Here is an example profile menu I made using the following screenshot of my own profile in Adobe Photoshop.

Screenshot 2021-05-24 143935.jpg

New Profile Example.jpg
Note how the image used is faded in the background and all the same information remains on the new design. Text is all the same and in the same spots as last time, just with different colors (depending on the chosen forum style) and with the presence of the profile pic. I feel that this feature would allow much more personalization with our members because each and everyone of us is different! An example would be if you are a great Discus keeper you could feature your own Discus on your profile or in my case my 10 gallon aquarium because I love designing aquariums! As for rules, the same would apply like with the avatar picture, you must adhere to copyright and you must use your own content that is appropriate and not offensive. This certainly is no emergency nor does it need to be done anytime real soon, but let me know what you all think of this idea, fellow members!

Wishing you all the best,
JLAquatics

LHAquatics

OOOh, this is a very good idea!

Ouse

I love it! Great way to personalise your account.

BigManAquatics

Could be fun. For all you profile stalkers out there :p

JLAquatics

Bump...

Would love to hear more thoughts on this idea!

BigManAquatics

With that many more pics...wouldn't it create a drain on the server and affect functionality in a negative way? Though that may be more of a question for Mike

JLAquatics

With that many more pics...wouldn't it create a drain on the server and affect functionality in a negative way? Though that may be more of a question for Mike
IMO If it is just one on your profile page and not on multiple pages, I cant see how it would drain the server too much. Most of the time the server slows down when there are multiple high res pics and such on only one page, such as a single long thread.

But I agree, Mike should have the final say. If it cannot be done, it is certainly not a big deal at all. :)

Mike

There is an add-on for doing this but have to wait until after the forum upgrade which might be next week sometime.

Lucy

I think Mike mentioned getting ready for an upgrade soon(ish) so something like this may not be in the forefront.

Edit: lol, Mike.
Back in the day we were able to customize our profiles. We even had a just for fun contest.

JLAquatics

There is an add-on for doing this but have to wait until after the forum upgrade which might be next week sometime.
I think Mike mentioned getting ready for an upgrade soon(ish) so something like this may not be in the forefront.
Thank you both for your input on this! Looking forward to the forum upgrade whatever that will bring! You both have a great rest of your week. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheFISH12
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views