Procambarus Alleni (blue Crayfish) Interested Out Of Nowhere

1. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey , so today I noticed someone local giving away blue Crayfish for free , I've kept fish for years succesfully but never had a crayfish , I did some research and found some deferent results some say 10, some say 15 and some say 20g... I was wondering based on experience what's the minimum size tank required for 1 Procambarus alleni?

Thanks in advance

2. TerryCat Member Member

In my experience 10 is adequate but 20 is better. They are more interesting when they have room to roam. That being said, if they are marble crayfish (commonly sold as blue) you will have multiple crays in no time at all because they self replicate

3. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Procambarus alleni can get fairly large (around 6") when full grown, and they can be pretty active. A 20g long would be the minimum I'd consider putting one into.

4. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Yeah I have 8 aquariums , I only have a 10 or 15g on hand that I could use , I really wasn't looking for anything larger with already many tanks to take care of since I already have much large tanks.

but I don't want to put the blue Crayfish in a bad situation either , do you know of any crayfish that could be housed comfortably in a 10g or 15g?? I heard about the dwarf orange crayfish thoughts?

5. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

A CPO (dwarf mexican crayfish) could work in a 10g. Bummer, electric blue crayfish for free would have been a steal.

6. TerryCat Member Member

I can't see why a 15 gallon wouldn't be comfortable... especially if you provide lots of things for it to climb. if you get lots of vertical space going that the cray can use it should be fine. Do you know if it's an electric blue or a marbled? Marbled I believe are a bit smaller but if it's a cherax then they would need more space

7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Here is a pic of the ones he is giving away.

Attached Files:

8. James17 Well Known Member Member

I've had a couple of them, I think a 15 will work, a 20 long would be better, just make sure you have a little driftwood to hide behind sometimes they don't want to be seen, especially after they molt, they want to feel protected.

9. FIghtingj Member Member

I don't think they are marbled crays. Do not put them with fish or plants. RRRRIPPPP.

10. TerryCat Member Member

It's hard to tell from the photo, do you have one closer? I've seen some really bright blue marble crays. The differentiation is made by if they have the pattern on the shells

11. queeqyo Initiate Member

My crayfish became a lot less destructive when I moved him from a 20 gallon to a 55 :) I think 20g is fine for them though, just prepared to have them wreck your plants and decor every so often!