Problems With Nitrite-nitrate

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am fishless cycling with plants.

I have done one huge water change during the cycle. Have been going just over 2 weeks - algae on things growing- I can literally scrape it off and it comes back with a vengeance it’s not blue green or black, bright green and some dark brownish spots - I hate the algae and just turned on overnight a uv sterilizer. Not sure about doing that st this point.

Ammonia is beautiful- I can put in enough to get it up to 4ppm wait 24 hrs and completely gone! However nitrites go up and stay high (between 2ppm-5ppm) AND was much higher before the water change along with super high nitrates they’re at 160ppm right now, WERE NOT thst high before the water change, something is happening - I did a super large water change 2 days ago - after I did that and added a little more bacteria - I had no nitrites. So I figured I was done and went for it ADDING 208 drops of ammonia, I have a 54 gallon tank. Again ammonia NO PROBLEM it’s the slow end of this nitrites to nitrates that’s killing me, and I do realize I need to do another water change... how long before the nitrites drop fast like the ammonia?

I also realize these sky high nitrites and nitrates are fueling the algae...and it’s loving it- growing like bamboo in the tropics

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cut back on your lighting to control algae while cycling. Also if your adding ferts this adds to the nitrates number.

Bacteria that processes nitrite takes about 2x long to grow, so this part of cycle can take a bit longer. Sometimes helpful to dose less ammonia, let the cycle catch up, then once processing 2ppm, start to increase to 3, then 4, etc...

OP
Kjani

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jocelyn Adelman said:
Cut back on your lighting to control algae while cycling. Also if your adding ferts this adds to the nitrates number.

Bacteria that processes nitrite takes about 2x long to grow, so this part of cycle can take a bit longer. Sometimes helpful to dose less ammonia, let the cycle catch up, then once processing 2ppm, start to increase to 3, then 4, etc...
Thank you Jocelyn! I will cut the light down now AND will the bacteria be ok if I don’t add ammonia? I’m scared to keep the ammonia at zero....your thoughts on when I should next add a little I figure I’m good for 24 hours at the moment...but how about after that? Will I lose the bacteria if I don’t feed ammonia?

Ok I did forget to mention I DID add ferts once... ya got me on that

Will stop that for now...

OP
Kjani

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
13536A53-A743-4A98-AABC-2A995D176D30.jpeg
Wonder...of wonders...I did not do a ware change yet... just left things an turned down the lighting AND came home expecting high nitrites and it’s a fricking miracle... those nitrites are down to .25 !

Ho Lee....

I can’t believe it - I’m starting to get close....

OP
Kjani

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
6A8C8639-D261-4B98-A7D0-4EF830081879.jpeg

Ok NOW what do I do? Should I do a water change like 50% and try getting the ammonia back up to 4ppm and see if it AND Nitrites clear in 24 hours?

Or

Do a water change and only get ammonia up to 2ppm and see if ammonia and nitrites drop out in 24 hours?

Or

Do not do water change and dump in some ammonia between 2ppm-4ppm and see if it cycles properly in 24 hrs?

I have no fish only plants

Thanks for any assistance...

OP
Kjani

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kjani said:
Ok NOW what do I do? Should I do a water change like 50% and try getting the ammonia back up to 4ppm and see if it AND Nitrites clear in 24 hours?

Or

Do a water change and only get ammonia up to 2ppm and see if ammonia and nitrites drop out in 24 hours?

Or

Do not do water change and dump in some ammonia between 2ppm-4ppm and see if it cycles properly in 24 hrs?

I have no fish only plants

Thanks for any assistance...
Ok nobody answered and it’s getting late - unfortunately I gotta work which pays for all this I’m burning daylight here - doing quickie waterchange about 20% then will run a full cycle ok perhaps 3ppm and see what happens ...

OP
Kjani

Kjani

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
058F594D-9B07-4085-A33B-4FF9725FB1BB.jpeg
Jocelyn Adelman said:

I think I’m ready I put ammonia in yesterday 72 drops and this is the result this morning - I’m gonna do more ammonia today (than yesterday) and see what’s up! Here’s this mornin’ pic above

Ok I just put in 108 drops of ammonia

mondays9

Reaction score
I'm new here so I don't have any input but keep us updated I am interested to know how you fared. Where is the new thread?

New Threads