Problems With My Tap Waters High Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hego_Damask, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

So my cities tap water which I use in my tank is really high, about a 8.8 on the scale. Naturally this caused some issues for my fish. I've had peat moss in a media bag in my filter for about a week & a half now. However, my ph has only gone down to about 8.2, which is still too high for the fish I'd like to add in there, corys. My glowlight tetras don't seem to be having an issue with it. So, what do I do at this point ?

2. t

tryingtokeepfish New Member Member

i think adding some driftwood could help with that. i used it in my betta tank and it brought down the ph a bit, so it might be worth a try.

3. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Maybe just go with the flow and get fish that like a high ph. Tanganyika cichlids love that high of a ph.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You could look into reducing the pH via chemicals. Seachem has a pH neutralizer that can bring pH down to 7.0 which is neutral...however it does come with risk as you need to add slowly and monitor the pH, too much it will crash, too little will be insufficient.

I would look at that and see if this is something you want to try.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

8.2 really isn't too bad. I run 8.2 so does my sister. She keeps pygmy Cories and they do very well for her. Ph is best maintained consistently so peat in the filter is a good method of lowering it and maintaining it. Using chemicals can cause all sorts of issues down the road. If you aren't trying to breed fish that like a closer to neutral pH you should be able to keep them just fine.

You can also look into RO or RO/DI water which allows you complete 100% control over exactly what is in your tank water and you can precisely manage it to the levels you want when you remineralize it.

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

8.2 is fine if it is stable. 10 of my 11 tanks are at 8.3 with excellent results. I do avoid certain species like neons and some other tetras. Check your hardness. That is generally more important than PH.

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

An 8.8 pH is fine unless you are keeping wild caught fish or senstive fish that prefer a different pH.

8. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

If you purchase fish locally they will likely be used to your ph. It shouldn't pose a problem at all and playing with your ph is known to cause more bad than good.

9. ystrout

ystrout Well Known Member Member

I actually JUST bought SeaChem equilibrium and kh & gh test kits and am going to try out RO water. So maybe try that out. That's how you get the most optimal water.

10. OP
    OP
    Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

Thanks for all the replies! I feel better about it now. I don't want to use chemicals to alter the levels as I know it can do more harm than good. I also don't want to add RO water everytime so I'm leaning towards just having fish that are better suited to my ph levels. If possible, I'd even like to remove the peat moss as I'm not a huge fan of the tint my water has taken on. This is in a 20 gallon btw. My plan was to have a school of glowlight tetras, corys ( probably sterbai) a few ghost shrimp, a couple of snails....then try to add my betta fish. If my betta doesn't work, possibly a gourami.

Should I alter any of those if my ph is going to be around 8.2 ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice