Problems With Kh Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tinklecr77, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Tinklecr77

Tinklecr77New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Good day, I recently shutdown my NUVO 20 All in one Saltwater tank and am in the process of converting to a planted freshwater system for simple GloFish danios, and tetras for my son. All new substrate and bio balls in the back sump. I will list all my parameters on the bottom. What I am trying to figure out is my KH. I can't maintain it above 0. The tank has been (fishless) cycling for a month now adding 1/8 tsp aquarium ammonia every night. I added 1/4 cup crushed coral to the back sump last week but still have no KH. I have added 1/8 tsp baking soda and my PH rises from 6.6 to 7.0 but the KH only rises to 1 then 24 hrs later back to KH 0 and PH 6.6. I do weekly 40% water changes to keep the Nitrates around 20. Do I need to let then crushed coral run longer? Here is my Current set up:

Nothing in the tank except Eco Complete substrate, granite rocks, and bonsai drift wood tree.
    total water in tank is 13 gal
    1st chamber of sump (on each side) has Pinkies Filter Floss then 4 Marine Pure Bio-Balls, then 1/4 cup crushed coral. 2nd chamber on each side has 20 marine pure bio-balls, 3rd and finial chamber has return pump, heater, PH probe.
    I also have a 5 gal ATO that has tap water treated with prime.

Tap water after 24 hr off gas cycle with Prime:
    PH 6.6, GH 3, KH 0, TDS 82, Nitrate 0

Tank testing after 24 hrs adding 1/8 tsp Ammo to get 2-3 Ammo.
    PH 6.6, KH 0, GH 6-7, TDS 175, Ammo 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20, Temp 77-78

Should I go-ahead and add plants to the system? to help keep the nitrates low and wait for my KH and PH to come up from the crush coral before adding the fish?

Thank you in advance for ya'lls help!

1st Pic shows sump of tank for people that don't understand what an All in one looks like.

Attached Files:

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I know for sure the bonsai wood will bring PH down. Have you tested your tap water? Do you use RO water instead?

3. OP
    OP
    Tinklecr77

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes tap water test results posted up top. No RO water. Might have to use remineralized RO top off water and water change and see if that makes a diff. but didn't want to have to go to store and get it.

4. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    Wow. KH 0 water. Yeah you might need to use remineralized RO. I'm still a beginner so I'd probably wait it out with the coral first and if it didn't change move to RO. Are you sure nothing is wrong with your water parameter measuring kit?

5. OP
    OP
    Tinklecr77

Ratings:
    +1
    Just got the kit a little over a month ago. So I think it’s good.

6. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    That's puzzling to me. I've not seen tap with a kh of 0 before. Then again I live where water is hard and needs to be softened for drinking...

7. OP
    OP
    Tinklecr77

Ratings:
    +1
    I don’t understand it either but it test the same every time. I’m gonna bring a tap sample to the local store and see what they get.