Problems with fish dying.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kersh021, Dec 5, 2012.

1. K

Kersh021 New Member Member

I have now two platys a tetra a swordtail and a minnow in a ten gallon tank. I been having problems with mollies dying and lost one of my platys today. I have noticed that my swordtail and one of my platys have developed a white patch under and on their gills. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to lose the swordtail. But he isn't acting normal any more. Any good suggestions.
    Thanks, mike.

2. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

did you cycle your tank ?how long ago did you set up the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    K

The tank has been going for about two months and in that time I have lost several mollies and today one of my platys. I'm not sure if it has cycled though.

4. lucky strike 21

how are you testing the water for ammonia nitrites and nitrates ?

5. OP
    OP
    K

Right now I'm more worried about the swordtail and white under his mouth and on his gills. I really don't want him to die.

6. OP
    OP
    K

I have used just the strips and I know they aren't as accurate but the nitrates and nitrites seem to be good.

7. lucky strike 21

can you post a picture does it look like salt? test strips aren't really reliable for anything i would suggest a 50 percent water change are the fish gasping at the surface?sorry about all the questions

8. OP
    OP
    K

The swordtail and platy are just hanging out at the bottom not really moving to much. It doesn't even look like they are eating.

9. lucky strike 21

try to do a 50 percent water change that should help also what water conditioner are you using?you have a heater correct?

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

It would help greatly if you could post a picture.

11. OP
    OP
    K

image.jpg
    Here is a pic of the swordtail you can kind of see the white under his gills.

12. lucky strike 21

rsz_2image.jpg i fixed your picture i hope thats ok

13. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Maybe ich? My tank just recovered and my Mollie was white all over. Sorry about the deaths but if its ammonia your local lfs might sell prime declore its a red bottle I have it takes down ammonia rapidly good luck. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  14. OP
    OP
    K

Yes I have a heater. I just put one in and that is when the swordtail and platy started acting weird.

15. lucky strike 21

did you raise the temperature slowly 1 to 2 degrees every hour?
    they might be in shock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice