Question Problems with canister filter heating water, so wanting to buy another one.

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
I have a it is heating up the water in my 55 gallon aquarium up to 80° F. I know this because I isolated the rise in temperature to being the canister filter.

I am now on the hunt for another canister filter but I can't afford expensive ones like the Fluval brands and looking at this one the .

Has anyone ever used the Penn Plax before? Or can you suggest another one in this price range?
 
Best Answer - View Mike1995's answer

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
845
Reaction score
598
I use Penn Plax canisters on two of my tanks. So far I haven't had any technical issues. My only complaint on them is that some detritus is able to bypass the baskets as they do not form a tight seal between the basket and the side of the canister. I've seen some people post their diy fixes to create a seal but I personally haven't tried any yet.

I also have a marineland magniflow 160 on another tank and as far as I can tell that one does not seem to have a method of creating a seal between basket and canister either, so this may be a universal problem but just more noticable in the clear canisters
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
AngryRainbow said:
I use Penn Plax canisters on two of my tanks. So far I haven't had any technical issues. My only complaint on them is that some detritus is able to bypass the baskets as they do not form a tight seal between the basket and the side of the canister. I've seen some people post their diy fixes to create a seal but I personally haven't tried any yet.

I also have a marineland magniflow 160 on another tank and as far as I can tell that one does not seem to have a method of creating a seal between basket and canister either, so this may be a universal problem but just more noticable in the clear canisters
Have you noticed any of your canister filters heating up the water in your tanks?
 

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
845
Reaction score
598
No, no heat issues that I've noticed. I keep my tanks around 76F and don't have an issue upping or lowering that with just my heater.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
AngryRainbow said:
No, no heat issues that I've noticed. I keep my tanks around 76F and don't have an issue upping or lowering that with just my heater.
Thanks for the info, I may try the Penn Plax. I can stay with the one I have because it doesn't leak, suck air or anything like the Amazon bad reviews say. But because it heats up the tank water to 80°F it limits my choice in stocking this tank. But funny thing is it stops at 80°F and doesn't heat the water any further. Kinda like a heater set at that temp, just weird.
 

Mike1995

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,365
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the penn plax doesn't work for you, the marineland canister filters are also very affordable. I have 2 currently and I've never had any issues.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
Mike1995 said:
Try the fluval 407.
Thanks for the inf
Mike1995 said:
If the penn plax doesn't work for you, the marineland canister filters are also very affordable. I have 2 currently and I've never had any issues.
Yes I have been looking at those too. I have only had one Marineland HOB, and it fell apart on me, I tried to figure out a way to fix it with no luck. So this kinda gave me a bad feeling toward Marineland.
 

Mike1995

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,365
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
5 to 10 years
Utar said:
Thanks for the inf

Yes I have been looking at those too. I have only had one Marineland HOB, and it fell apart on me, I tried to figure out a way to fix it with no luck. So this kinda gave me a bad feeling toward Marineland.
Imo marineland hob filters are absolute junk. I've had several in the past and they just never seemed that great. I personally think the whole bio wheel thing is bogus. But on another note, I've had several of the marineland canisters and never had any issues. They are constructed much better than the hob filters.

The ehiem classic canisters are great. You can get the 2215 model for around $120 on Amazon. Although they don't have the high flow rates of other filters, they make up for in quality.

I don't mean to alter your thought patterns on what to get, just giving ideas :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
Mike1995 said:
Imo marineland hob filters are absolute junk. I've had several in the past and they just never seemed that great. I personally think the whole bio wheel thing is bogus. But on another note, I've had several of the marineland canisters and never had any issues. They are constructed much better than the hob filters.

The ehiem classic canisters are great. You can get the 2215 model for around $120 on Amazon. Although they don't have the high flow rates of other filters, they make up for in quality.

I don't mean to alter your thought patterns on what to get, just giving ideas :)
No your not messing up my thought patterns, I need all the info on canisters that I can get. I looked at the ehiem you suggested, but there are no media trays. I have two trays in my present filter filled with bio-home media ultimate, and this has to be filtered as best as I can get it. That is way I also have a pre-filter to help clean the water before it hits the bio-home ultimate media.
 

Mike1995

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,365
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
5 to 10 years
Utar said:
No your not messing up my thought patterns, I need all the info on canisters that I can get. I looked at the ehiem you suggested, but there are no media trays. I have two trays in my present filter filled with bio-home media ultimate, and this has to be filtered as best as I can get it. That is way I also have a pre-filter to help clean the water before it hits the bio-home ultimate media.
The ehiem you can literally put whatever you want in them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
642
Reaction score
490
Location
Texas
Experience
4 years
Mike1995 said:
Why'd someone vote my answer down? What exactly is wrong with it?
You know I may have done that by accident when I pressed the like button or something. Sorry about that, I corrected it or at least I brought back to zero by pressing the up arrow. I find the idea of this up and down arrow unnecessary. So I don't ever use it not on propose anyway.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
77
Guests online
2,249
Total visitors
2,326

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom