Problems with baby nets?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MrsMorocco2010, Jan 6, 2013.

1. MrsMorocco2010

MrsMorocco2010Valued MemberMember

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else had problems keeping the baby net connected on the side of the tank? I was hooking up the computer this morning and looked over to see our guppy baby net on the bottom of the fish tank! Unfortunately, I cannot find the guppy fry that only had 1 eye (I was really curious to see how that one was going to turn out). Ever since I set up the baby net it's always felt flimsy and weak. Did anybody else encounter this problem?

2. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

Do you mean a breeders net? I've never had a problem with mine falling off the side of the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    MrsMorocco2010

Yeah the breeders net. The clamps on the sides do not keep it locked on the side at all! I'm using the extra strings from the net to hold it to the top of the tank.

4. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Do you have the breeders net that has the metal clamps that fold over ( green netting )
    If so, I agree - very difficult and the screws fall out easily! Not the best design, in my opinion.

I use one of those huge clips you can buy from the dollar store and clamp the sides to the tank.

Hope that helps!

5. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

I've got a basic net breeder with those thin metal clips and they are quite flimsy for me as well. Even with placing the metal under the heavy wooden canopy the plastic "push pins" do not keep it at a level position. I'm just glad I don't really need to use it with so many plants in the tank, but sometimes I may want to help a certain little fry stay a little more safe :;hug2

6. OP
    OP
    MrsMorocco2010

Yes, it's green plastic with the metal clamps. If I put a clamp on the side of the tank, the lid won't close all the way. I guess there's not much to do with these breeder things. It was the only thing I could find at the time.

7. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Yes the lid will stay a bit open. Unless you have fish or snails that will escape, it should work fine. You could also lower the water line if you think someone may try and jump out.

8. ghardin

ghardinValued MemberMember

omg i have one and HATE IT. its all i can afford so if someone has a way to improve it, please share.

9. OP
    OP
    MrsMorocco2010

I just taped the frame to the outside of the fish tank and so far it's working.

10. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I have never had a problem with the ones that comes with a metal strip that you fold yourself to go over the side of the tank however the ones with suckers that stick to the side I have a problem with! Luckally my fry seemed to enjoy it in the net and when it slipped down I seemed to end up with more fry in the net than previously so I just left it and the fish to do with as they please I now have 10 baby fish....

.... on a side note when does a fry become a fish teehee