Problems with Angel Fish

metropolis2k

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 38 gallon freshwater tank with the following fish currently :

2 adult Angel Fish (one black, one striped)
2 Sunburst Platys
2 Zebra Danios
2 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Albino Cory Dora
1 Chinese Algae Eater

I have had the tank for 2 years or so now and it has been a tremendous struggle for me to keep this tank healthy. I had an Angel dying a couple of months ago. I think it was hole in the head, but on the side of his body. The flesh was completely eaten away and you could see the skeleton of the fish. Now my black angel has had a similar thing going on on the side of his head. It eat a hole and now it's mouth is standing wide open, unable to close it and I think it also messed up his one eye. I am treating the water with Melafix and have used something particularly for Hole in the Head (can't think of the name now) before. It seems to be getting worse though and I can't stand looking at the poor thing. Is there anything I can do to reverse this flesh eating disease at all, or should I think about euthanizing? Please ask any questions, my description may not paint the whole picture. Thanks for your advice everyone!

Attachments

Last edited:

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its your chinese algae eater. I hado ne that killed 2 angel fish, algae eater prefers fish meat to algae once it gets older and flat bodied fish such as angels are perfect.

metropolis2k

Reaction score
Hey platy ben, I appreciate the insight and will definitely keep that in mind. However, the algae eater is a young fish, got it about a month ago and it is tiny. Do you really think that is the problem. Have a glimpse at the pictures I just attached. But thanks though!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, if hes oyung maybe not, but I would still consider it, heres a pic of one of the angels I found after my 5" chinese algae eater got it over night

Attachments

metropolis2k

Reaction score
Update, the hole in this poor guy's cheek has gotten so big now, you can see through it and out of his (open-standing) mouth. This is maddening! I just don't know what I can do! I think it's hole in the head but again, I've been using that medicine (of which the name I can't think right now) and it hasn't helped a lick! So again, please, if you have any ideas that can help, I'd be very very grateful. And thank you platy ben for your input.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom