Problems calibrating an Eheim heater

AndyP

I am trying to calibrate a new Eheim 200W heater. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket with powerhead, and a known good thermometer (NIST calibrated). The thermometer says the temperature in the bucket is 80.6ºF. The Eheim is set to 75ºF. So, I tried to move the red indicator to 80ºF, and it won't got up that far. It stops at 78ºF.

Should I return the thing?

BlackTiger

I am trying to calibrate a new Eheim 200W heater. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket with powerhead, and a known good thermometer (NIST calibrated). The thermometer says the temperature in the bucket is 80.6ºF. The Eheim is set to 75ºF. So, I tried to move the red indicator to 80ºF, and it won't got up that far. It stops at 78ºF.

Should I return the thing?
The red indicator is just there for you to calibrate, it wont change the temp by just moving it alone. For example. If the thermometer (assuming its accurate) is reading at 80. Your heater was setup at 75. Then move the red indicator to where the current temperature of the tank is (which is 75). Now, turn the blue dial to desire temperature. Also, try to have more than 1 thermometer in the tank for accuracy. Theres plenty video on youtube that show you how to calibrate as well.

Upvote 0

AndyP

I don't think you're following what's going on. I am calibrating using a 5-gallon bucket with a power head in it to circulate the water. The heater is at 75ºF. 2 different thermometers tell me the bucket is at 80ºF. I cannot move the red dial to 80ºF, because the dial won't go up that high. It stops at 78ºF.

I did some Googling and found a lot of threads on Eheim heaters that won't calibrate.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I've never been able to get one calibrated either, so I don't try any more. I just adjust the blue ring until the temperature gets where I want it according to a thermometer and ignore what the heater dial says it should be.

Upvote 0

AndyP

I have 2 other 200W heaters that calibrated just fine.

Upvote 0

Redroofinn

I stopped using eheim heaters in one of my tanks because of issues with calibrating it. I use fluval now. Either return it and try a new one or look up videos on how to calibrate it. I watched just about every video on the internet and still couldn't get that heater to calibrate.

Upvote 0

BlackTiger

I don't think you're following what's going on. I am calibrating using a 5-gallon bucket with a power head in it to circulate the water. The heater is at 75ºF. 2 different thermometers tell me the bucket is at 80ºF. I cannot move the red dial to 80ºF, because the dial won't go up that high. It stops at 78ºF.

I did some Googling and found a lot of threads on Eheim heaters that won't calibrate.
Originally you said you trying to move the red indicator and it didnt move that far (not the blue dial) lol. Anyways it weird that it cant go pass 80. Mine is working perfectly fine after calibration and it keeps my tanks steady at 82/83ish degree on 2 tanks. You might got a defective one so return/exchange for a new one if its still possible?

Upvote 0

AndyP

Originally you said you trying to move the red indicator and it didnt move that far (not the blue dial) lol. Anyways it weird that it cant go pass 80. Mine is working perfectly fine after calibration and it keeps my tanks steady at 82/83ish degree on 2 tanks. You might got a defective one so return/exchange for a new one if its still possible?

That's the plan. I called the store and explained the situation. The store is a huge PITA with returns. They will only offer store credit, and the items must be returned in "resellable" condition. I took back a Seachem Tidal filter because it was so loud it would wake the dead, and he would not take it back and told me to reach out to Seachem for support. I wanted to exchange it for a different brand. Luckily you can dry heaters off and put them back in the box.
I stopped using eheim heaters in one of my tanks because of issues with calibrating it. I use fluval now. Either return it and try a new one or look up videos on how to calibrate it. I watched just about every video on the internet and still couldn't get that heater to calibrate.
I watched a ton of videos. That's how I got the other two calibrated. This one is just being stubborn.

I miss the old Ebo Jäger heaters. The green ones. Those things lasted forever, and you didn't need to calibrate them. If I remember correctly, you needed to set the temperature with a screwdriver.
Update.....

Somehow the heater calibrated. I fought with it all day yesterday and could not get it to calibrate. Right after lunch, I set it up again, and got it to calibrate to 80ºF. Then I turned it up to 83, and the thermometer said it was 83ºF. Now I have it cranked down to 78ºF. I'll check it in a few hours. If it's at 78ºF, I'm calling it a day.

Confused and happy at the same time.

Upvote 0

AndyP

Ok, I am now officially done. Added cold water to the bucket. Waited 15 minutes. Set the calibrated heater to 75°F and let it run with the powerhead in the bucket. Temperature was 83°F about an hour later.

This thing obviously has issues. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Ok, I am now officially done. Added cold water to the bucket. Waited 15 minutes. Set the calibrated heater to 75°F and let it run with the powerhead in the bucket. Temperature was 83°F about an hour later.

This thing obviously has issues. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

I’ve had the same problem with 3 Eheims in the last month. Now I use an inkbird so I don’t even bother calibrating.

I had a Fluval but it broke in my tank so I didn’t want another one.

Upvote 0

AndyP

I use a temperature controller too. But the thermostat on the heater I use as a backup, in case the temperature controller fails, so I kind of want it to work right out of the box.

Upvote 0

AndyP

Returned the Eheim. Got another one. This one calibrated just fine.

Upvote 0

OverSpun

Eheim's 150w has had issues according to the Amazon reviews (e.g., boiling fish).

I bought one for my 55g tank to try it and I followed the instructions to the dot, I set it to 77 and after 2 days I measured ~80-81f. I Turned it down to 74, went up to 80f anyway. Had to be defective. Returned it and gave eheim another chance with their 200w and it has been enough accurate and working so far.

I'll try fluval if the 200w fails.

Upvote 0

AndyP

Get a temperature controller. I don’t trust heater thermostats.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
Replies
Views
Cody
  • Question
Replies
Views
pagoda