Problem?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TylerLovesFish, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TylerLovesFish

TylerLovesFish Well Known Member Member

Before you all attack me:

I am planning on moving these fish to a 15 Gallon tank in 2-3 Weeks, because it is currently in storage.

I have a 3 Gallon tank with a filter that has a black mystery snail, and 2 guppies, 2 white clouds, and a ghost shrimp a guppy and snail was in a bowl a few days ago.

The other fish were fish my dad bought, even though I told him the bioload on the tank would be too much. So much for listening... Anyways...

One of the guppies (the smaller one) has just been sitting at the bottom. He tries to swim around a little, then settles at the bottom. I don't think he's dieing since he's trying to swim around, and was eating earlier. I don't have a heater.

Any advice for now? Please don't attack me. I am 15 and I love fish and want to have a nice aquarium in my room and I plan on moving them to a much more humane environment (the 15 gallon tank) For now I plan on frequent water changes, and my dad was the one who got more fish! Also, advice for the new tank? (New tank will have heater, also wondering if I could get more fish/what fish I should get)

Thank you for your help...

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

well by then they will all *hopefully* be deceased and you can start fresh. the snail should survive though :p

3. Ethan

the white clouds might survive and if they do i would get 8 more of them and have a decent school

4. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Well... is there any chance to keep them all alive :l

especially since the guppy survived the bowl.

5. Ethan

really only water changes but don't worry :D

6. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

The big problem I see is you'll have to cycle the 15 gallon first, unless you want to do a fish-in cycle, though that may even be easier on them than being in a 3 gallon tank.

Your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. This is essential for having healthy fish. Basically it goes like this:
    1. Fish produce ammonia
    2. Beneficial bacteria convert ammonia into nitrites
    3. Another kind of bacteria converts nitrites into less deadly nitrates

But when you have a new tank, there is no BB to convert deadly ammonia or nitrites. It usually takes around a month to cycle a tank from scratch, sometimes more or less depending on certain variables. If when you have the 15g set up you move the 3 gallon filter over to it that may help some, though with a (I assume) small filter like that it may not benefit much.

I'd do some more research on the nitrogen cycle, maybe rehome your fish (at least temporarily) and start fresh with the 15g :) this forum is a gold mine of information and you'll be ready in no time!

7. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Thanks, the 15 Gallon has everything i need (heater, filter) But my dad says he's not going to put it in until either the fish die, or I clean my room, and we also have to get it out of storage, so at the least, it will be a week and a half. I just hope they can survive. Thanks for all the help, and I hope these fish survive!

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

Do you know what temperature the 3G is at? Low temperature can slow a fishes metabolism, and as such, they will move less. That's how I realised I left my heater off once, everyone was lethargic.

What is the room temperature? Does the tank have any lighting on it? Lighting and room temperature can help bring up the temperature in the tank. At a minimum, I'd think you'd want around 73 F (it's not ideal, but might help)

Do you have a water conditioner such as Prime or Kordon Nova+/Amquel+ ? If so, you could be ok if you can get the temperature up a bit. You're essentially doing a fish-in cycle. So daily water changes will definitely help, and dosing with Prime or the two Kordon products (I can't recall which one detoxes ammonia) should help to make it safer for the fish.

I think you can pull through this until you clean your room (nudge nudge wink wink). When you get the 15 setup, you find you need to continue with the fish-in cycling, or if you can a bottle of Tetra Safe Start, you could fast track it (there are specific instructions to follow with TSS for best success rate).

Too - go and smack your dad :giggle: Tell him he's not to buy anymore fish without consulting Fishlore first :D

Thanks for joining the forum, I'm sure you can work it through, and we're all here to help.

9. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Well clean your room , put a 40w spot lamp over the water , toooo manny fish ,ssooorryy. good luck!!!

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore Tyler!

"hopefully be desceased"?? :;dk

11. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

My dad just told me he threw away the tank! So I'm going to have to buy all the stuff... That means about a month before the new tank ($20 a week, to about $100 to get heater, filter, and tank) Any suggestions, since I'll actually have a choice.

I have no idea what the temperature is. The house temp is 72 Degrees F. I believe my bigger guppy may have fin rot, as his back fin has some black dots on it. I am hoping to get the tank ASAP, and my dad told me I'd have to put it somewhere else in the house. The smaller guppy is moving around a lot now, I have no idea what was wrong with him last night. My White cluds are kind of just attacking their reflection in the glass, my guess is they need more buddies to school with, but that's not an option yet. Also, my snail seems very interested in my filter (likes to climb all over it) Is that a problem?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Well that`s bad luck you have following you.you can use a house hold thermometer ,the one with the liquid just to take measurements don`t leave it in .If it`s electronic just the tip they are not accurate but close. As for the fish behavior put a dark colored paper on the sides they will stop eventually.

13. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Now they are just swimming eratically. Seems like they are trying to jump out of the tank. (swimming down to bottom, then back up really fast before pointing down as soon as they reach the top, and repeating. The 2 guppies and one white cloud is doing it. The other is just casually swimming around. The shrimp keeps attempting to get to the surface.

14. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Instead of using 3g can u get a 10 to 20g tupperware tub from walmart? About 5 bucks...a sponge filter maybe? 10$ and a heater rated at 100Watts $17? Something...these poor fish

15. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

This may be an option for you. It's a 10 gallon kit that's under $30. The only thing you'd need would be a heater. This should be big enough.

16. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

I'll probably buy that next week. That's when I get some money, but I'd still need a heater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice