Question Problem With New Leaves Having Holes - Cause ?

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem now for a while that plant growth has stunted and new leaves from Aponogeton and now nana nubia have holes. At first I thought it was the clown loaches going after them but after careful checking i see holes in newly formed leaves. There isn't much in yellowing or black circle around these holes and growth has definitely stunted. I just can't figure out which nutrient the plants are lacking or (from googlling) from a specific cause for new leaves having holes (old leave is said to be potassium). I've tried adding potassium and magnesium but they haven't helped much. I've also increase the dosage of thrive+ i add to the tank (there are also root tabs under many of hte major plants). Could this be a carbon or nitrogen issue? (i do not inject carbon and my nitrate runs around 25 ppm). About the only plant doing really well is one of the dwarf lilies which wants to send a leaf to the top every couple of days.

Last edited:

Anthony1976

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been having a problem now for a while that plant growth has stunted and new leaves from Aponogeton and now nana nubia have holes. At first I thought it was the clown loaches going after them but after careful checking i see holes in newly formed leaves. There isn't much in yellowing or black circle around these holes and growth has definitely stunted. I just can't figure out which nutrient the plants are lacking or (from googlling) from a specific cause for new leaves having holes (old leave is said to be potassium). I've tried adding potassium and magnesium but they haven't helped much. I've also increase the dosage of thrive+ i add to the tank (there are also root tabs under many of hte major plants). Could this be a carbon or nitrogen issue? (i do not inject carbon and my nitrate runs around 25 ppm).
Was thinking potassium but you’ve already tried that

jake37

Valued Member
Reaction score
From waht i've read potassium deficiency normally shows up in older leaves and have yellowing or black around hte holes. Thse holes don't have much around them and are occurring in new leaves. Here are two pictures:
--
I mean it is possible that something is nipping on them at night but other than clown loaches and angels i don't think i have anything that would do this and my understanding is that generally speaking the anubia isn't all that tasty.

Attachments

Top Bottom