Problem With My Honey Gourami

Sean O' Neill

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got two honey gourami over a month ago in my 20 gallon tank, they are in with 5 neon tetras and 4 platies. One of the honey gourami seems to lie flat down on the sand a lot and could stay like this for hours and then swim around again like normal, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now and the other guy seems to be doing the same now every so often to, they seem to come up for air every now and then to, all other fish have been there with a good few months and are fine, parameters are all fine to.

Attachments

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should test your water for nitrates and ammonia spikes. Also there's a disease that only gouramis are prone to getting called "Dwarf Gourami Disease" and it only targets Dwarfs. It's actually quite common and nobody knows much about the disease yet. What I would do if this were me, I would make sure water parameters are good, then try to quarantine them and give them an Epsom salt bath for about 15 minutes, if that doesn't work wait a little while then maybe try to treat him with some kind of bacterial infection medication. Let me know if I can be anymore help and good luck!

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Apparently this species has been WAY overbreed and genetically very weak. I've read long time fish keepers that say they won't keep them anymore because you are lucky to keep them alive for a year. Anyway, I suddenly lost a flame after only a few months but bought another. He's been there for a couple months now as well, but appears fine. I've also read a study that found 75% of tested imported fish had DG disease.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honey Gourami don’t contract Dwarf Gourami Disease, my Honey recently just died from this same thing. My best guess was parasites, causing the swim bladder to bloat, resulting in death. If you can pick up some PraziPro, you might be able to save them. As for the Dwarf Gourami Disease, unless something has changed, then i’m quite positive that they cannot get it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
which I think would negate my overbreed comment as well I think... I was thinking flame. Which is why I picked up a Pearl actually. Never trust a guppy.

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
which I think would negate my overbreed comment as well I think... I was thinking flame. Which is why I picked up a Pearl actually. Never trust a guppy.
Sorry mate! Wasnt trying to call you out Pearls are amazing, Im contemplating picking one up to replace my poor honey. What’s their tempermate like? Would one get along with my Thick Lipped Female gourami that’s still in the tank?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate! Wasnt trying to call you out Pearls are amazing, Im contemplating picking one up to replace my poor honey. What’s their tempermate like? Would one get along with my Thick Lipped Female gourami that’s still in the tank?
No worrys, my mistake. Best to correct mis-information for the OP. My Pearl is great, calm always chill'n. He follows around my Flame like they are little buddies. The flame is a little dominant while feeding however.
That 2nd pic is just his little whiskers, or whatever they are called on these fish... it's not poo.

fishbro

Reaction score
No worrys, my mistake. Best to correct mis-information for the OP. My Pearl is great, calm always chill'n. He follows around my Flame like they are little buddies. The flame is a little dominant while feeding however.
That 2nd pic is just his little whiskers, or whatever they are called on these fish... it's not poo.
Oh right, wasn't sure if the bit on the right was poo or not, bit small to see on my phone

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom