Problem With My Honey Gourami Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sean O' Neill, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Sean O' NeillNew MemberMember

I got two honey gourami over a month ago in my 20 gallon tank, they are in with 5 neon tetras and 4 platies. One of the honey gourami seems to lie flat down on the sand a lot and could stay like this for hours and then swim around again like normal, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now and the other guy seems to be doing the same now every so often to, they seem to come up for air every now and then to, all other fish have been there with a good few months and are fine, parameters are all fine to.

2. 123Valued MemberMember

We had same issues with ours, unfortunately we did not find out what exactly it could be:
    Possible Sick Honey Gourami

But I read that gouramis are simply just very sensitive to viruses and bacterial infections :/

3. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Did you cycle the tank before adding these fish? If not then I can easily point out the problem.

4. Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

You should test your water for nitrates and ammonia spikes. Also there's a disease that only gouramis are prone to getting called "Dwarf Gourami Disease" and it only targets Dwarfs. It's actually quite common and nobody knows much about the disease yet. What I would do if this were me, I would make sure water parameters are good, then try to quarantine them and give them an Epsom salt bath for about 15 minutes, if that doesn't work wait a little while then maybe try to treat him with some kind of bacterial infection medication. Let me know if I can be anymore help and good luck!

5. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Apparently this species has been WAY overbreed and genetically very weak. I've read long time fish keepers that say they won't keep them anymore because you are lucky to keep them alive for a year. Anyway, I suddenly lost a flame after only a few months but bought another. He's been there for a couple months now as well, but appears fine. I've also read a study that found 75% of tested imported fish had DG disease.

6. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

Honey Gourami don’t contract Dwarf Gourami Disease, my Honey recently just died from this same thing. My best guess was parasites, causing the swim bladder to bloat, resulting in death. If you can pick up some PraziPro, you might be able to save them. As for the Dwarf Gourami Disease, unless something has changed, then i’m quite positive that they cannot get it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

7. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

which I think would negate my overbreed comment as well I think... I was thinking flame. Which is why I picked up a Pearl actually. ;) Never trust a guppy.

8. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

Sorry mate! Wasnt trying to call you out ;) Pearls are amazing, Im contemplating picking one up to replace my poor honey. What’s their tempermate like? Would one get along with my Thick Lipped Female gourami that’s still in the tank?

9. fishbroNew MemberMember

Is it just me or does the second pic look like stringy white poo? That indicates a parasite problem

10. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

No worrys, my mistake. Best to correct mis-information for the OP. My Pearl is great, calm always chill'n. He follows around my Flame like they are little buddies. The flame is a little dominant while feeding however.
    That 2nd pic is just his little whiskers, or whatever they are called on these fish... it's not poo.

11. fishbroNew MemberMember

Oh right, wasn't sure if the bit on the right was poo or not, bit small to see on my phone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice