Problem With Jungle Vallisneria

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I just got a shipment of jungle Val last Fri (3 days ago) and it isn't doing well. It actually looked pretty poor right out of the package, very little green, mostly grey-brown and translucent. Now that it has been in the tank for a couple of days it seems like it is even looking worse. I started off with only my hood lights that came with the aquarium but today upgraded to the finnex planted 24/7. I just insert some aquarium.com total fert pellets today to see if it will help. I am using PFS as a substrate and there are no fish currently in the tank. I also orderd Sagittaria Subulata Dwarf which looked much better at first but now it's leaves are turning grey and translucent. Are both of these problems most likely caused by the low lighting for a couple of days or lasck of nutrients. I have put a little fish food and Tetra Safe Start as I am trying to cycle the tank as well. This is a 55g aquarium.

One other question is how much should I trim off of the plants. If I trim everything that looks dead on the Vall there won't really be anything left. I hope these plants aren't beyond hope.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel for you... I bought my first vals in late Jan. and went through the very same thing. I did not decrease my lighting at all. I heard from others that "val melt" is not uncommon. I bought 12 vals and was left with four. I am glad I didn't give up totally, for those 4 are finally starting to look like they might make it. I'm no expert, so hopefully others will share their advice. Wishing you better luck!

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jungle Val melt is very common. It doesn't always happen, but it can. Even some of the best quality vals will melt in certain tanks, but they almost always come back. They will die off, but after a few weeks if left undisturbed with good lighting, they will start to sprout back and once they do, they explode with runners.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the input, good to hear. Should I trim all- of the brown parts or is it ok to leave some of the parts that look wilted? Thanks again

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At the moment you think about pulling out Val, it will start growing.

It doesn't like Excel aso

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hahaha that's the second time I am corrected today. Tried to pass experiences from earlier threads about it, but think I got that one wrong. My jungle val grows without it.
Koiman said:
Huh, that’s strange. I used to dose my jungle val with excel all the time and it grew perfectly.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
May be I missed that part, the pellet you mentioned are those root tabs? they're root feeder to PFS would be enough for them.
Like what @DoubleDutch said though both plants will have a tendcy to melt at first but grows fast. I wouldn't trim it since your still cycling and those decaying plants can be a source of ammonia for you

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Hahaha that's the second time I am corrected today. Tried to pass experiences from earlier threads about it, but think I got that one wrong. My jungle val grows without it.
Beautiful tank! Love the classic draping effect of the jungle val.

Also I think where people go wrong with excel dosing is that if the excel directly touches the val when you first add it, the leaf will die that touched it. I always poured the excel next to the filter output and my tank was a large volume (100 gallon).

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The pellets are probably aquarium.com's version of root tabs, macro nutrients and some micro. I do seem some green stems starting to come up, but it seems like they are turning brown at the top. This is occurring both with the jungle val and the sag. Not sure if I just need to wait longer or do something else. It's been a little over a week side I got them and one week since I put the pellets in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom